Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Your thoughts on the "Why aren't you out shooting?" post

Re: Your thoughts on the "Why aren't you out shooting?" post

Well, just got back from photographing. Left Thursday morning for a couple nights of backpacking in the redwoods along Redwood Creek (Redwood National Park). Perfect weather...everything cleaned up with the recent rain and the creek up a couple inches. Times of no wind. Nights stayed semi-clear the first night and clear the second -- great stars!

Before the trip I searched and searched around the house for my 4x5 -- cleverly hidden from myself in my last move (July). Had to take the 5x7 instead, but only could find 5 holders so that is what I went with. Loaded them up with TMax400 and actually came back with 2 sheets unexposed. . I carried the camera on the tripod over my shoulder on the way in, but was able to put the camera in my pack and strap the tripod to my pack on the way out (more room in the pack with the food and beer gone). Not too far...just 1.25 miles down to the creek and then a few miles up the creek bed with several crossings. Pretty steep hike up back to the van, but did pretty good for an old man...good to be alive! I went with a friend and he carried my two lenses and light meter up the hill for me.

Might be a couple weeks before I process the negatives...have to go to Hawaii (just taking the Rolleiflex!)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

One needs time to process film and print. One needs time to contemplate the work, locations, light and future considerations. Planning trips, managing the logistics and getting into the mindset that allows for more creativity all taked downtime from shooting. Then there are the physical limitations - both mine and weather related.

Life intrudes in so many other ways as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Before the trip I searched and searched around the house for my 4x5
    Not being out shooting because you can't find your large format camera (of all things) is the best excuse ever!

Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Before the trip I searched and searched around the house for my 4x5
    Not being out shooting because you can't find your large format camera (of all things) is the best excuse ever!
    Well, the dang 4x5 is so small! The 5x7 was already on a tripod and set up in the living room, saying "Take me! Take me!" Seems like I am always tripping over the 8x10 and 11x14, but no way I was backpacking with those beasts!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Might be a couple weeks before I process the negatives…have to go to Hawaii (just taking the Rolleiflex!)
    Makes me think we need a companion thread, "Why aren't you in the darkroom?"

I can't think of a better reason than "I have to go Hawaii!"

When back home, the next best reason is "I have to get sand out of the Rolleiflex!"

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    ...When back home, the next best reason is "I have to get sand out of the Rolleiflex!"
    Better than saying, "I thought this was the underwater Rollei model..."

I retired Sept 1st -- got to make the most of it!

Better than saying, "I thought this was the underwater Rollei model..."

I retired Sept 1st -- got to make the most of it!
    I suggest you start immediately. One never knows when he/she will no longer be able to ambulate and think clearly. Stuff happens in the blink of an eye. Other times stuff creeps up on you while you ignore the degradation, having more important issues to address over the weeks/months/years. There is only today. There is no tomorrow.

Sometimes the answer is painfully simple: health. LF photography requires a certain amount of walking while carrying moderately heavy weight (I know some use trailers or other wheeled gadgets, but most of us don't). I've pretty much lost August and September due to a cardiac procedure to fix an arrhythmia, which while it was successful came with enough complications and medications to make me really look forward to getting the 4x5 out come October!

I read this thread while waiting thru several six minute cyanotype exposures. Not ready to do LF at night, at least not outside!

Caveat: I'm a hobbyist. I give a few pictures as presents, haven't sold any yet. I haven't done many yet I'd be willing to sell!

I like painting too (oils) of the same sorts of subjects I photograph. It is easier for me to get a recognizeable likeness of a person with film. But, I find that to get a photo I want to take, develop and print---it takes me as much time as painting. Now, I'm still relatively new at both painting and photography.

In both cases time has been spent on making tools too. Ie UV exposure unit, tanks for film hangers, easel that goes on my tripod when the camera doesn't, most recently an adapter to put a Sinar shutter and DB lenses on a home built 8x10 luggable camera.

I do wonder if I would take more pictures if I had lighter cameras with bigger negatives/transparencies than 35mm. Been eyeing a 1950's 6x6 to fold up and carry around maybe with a v light tripod. Or when it isn't 90zillion degrees with humidity to match, keeping the press camera in my car 24/7. Then I'd also have to make enlarged negatives...

Sometimes timing is the problem. I saw a picture last Thursday orFriday afternoon: a whole lotta mushrooms---like a city skyline---in the neighbor's mulch around a tree next to the road. But, my son needed to get to a lesson, there was no time to get a camera or indeed even go back with the iPhone, and when I next checked the location, the mushrooms had faded to mush.

Finally, I feel for the person who said that they get out of sorts reading this forum. Mostly I don't see that, I see a lot of people with a lot of experience who have helped me for free, but I have seen some very harsh things written. I do wish that would stop.