Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Edinburgh, Scotland!

Hello from Edinburgh, Scotland!

Hi everyone,
    I've just realised I did not introduce myself as a new member. I've been involved with cameras most of my life - used to know a guy who was a member of Edinburgh Photographic Society so we used their darkroom. I'll be 64 in December - after dabbling with a couple of Hasselblads that I picked up quite cheaply on a well known site I decided to try LF with an entry level (I think?) Cambo SC that came with an English Wray Lustrar 184mm lens (probably from a military MPP?). It's now got a Super-Angulon 90mm f8 to go with it.
    Anyone have experience of the Wray lens?
    I restore old cameras - finished a Gundlach-Manhattan Criterion View recently. It came with a huge Orthopanactinic lens made by an English maker out of Liverpool.
    Made it new bellows, released seized tracking and cleaned it up (I don't do anything with the wood or varnish). I was very pleased when it sold for little more than I paid for it, to a guy down south (England) who is doing a great job of teaching wet plate process to students of photography in Manchester University. It's not done for profit (I can hear my wife sighing "More's the pity!") - just because I love it.
    Now working on a Century Grand 5x7. That's a lovely piece of workmanship! Did you know, when they left the factory, they didn't get past Quality Control unless all screw heads were aligned? That involved re filing the threads a lot of the time. I'm careful to keep details of where the screws come from so that they go back to their original screw holes.
    Nerd? Yup!
    Great advice here - keep it up.
    Anyone want to swap endless stories about restoration, I'm your man.

Slainthe, from Scotland. ( Gaelic for Good Health ) Lang may yer lums reek - rough translation "may smoke rise from your chimneys for many years" - long life.

Gordon

Re: Hello from Edinburgh, Scotland!

Hi Gordon,

Welcome and enjoy your stay,

Cheers,

Renato

Thanks Renato!

Hey Gordon!!!

I remember you working on that Century Grand... How did it turn out??? Shoot it yet??? (I have a whole plate Cycle Graphic much like that one that I have to finish someday)

Have fun here!!!

Steve K

I put some bellows on it Steve, but it is about 3cm from closing. So the material is too thick - but I just sourced some reconstituted leather at 0.4mm and I think that will work and allow the camera to close properly and without undue strain on the lens board area.
    Let's see a pic of the Cycle Graphic?
    Thanks for your message,
    Regards,
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Hey Gordon!!!

I remember you working on that Century Grand... How did it turn out??? Shoot it yet??? (I have a whole plate Cycle Graphic much like that one that I have to finish someday)

Have fun here!!!

Steve K
    When the new bellows go on I plan to take it to my mate at Eyemouth on the east coast here and use it for wet plate. That's what he does and I would like to get into it.
    So far it has not taken a photograph with me "at the helm"!

When I get around to working on it!!!

Camera had new bellows installed before I purchased and some light restoration... I wisely treated the leather outsides when I got it 20 some years ago, and good even now, "so leather can't wait"... I don't have the Cirkut kit for it (but it has the ID plates for it)... The modern problem for it is that it takes the 6 1/2" X 8 1/2" holders that are now sought after by the wet plate crowd and $$$$$$$!!!!!! I have a dozen or so 8X10 holders, so maybe a conversion back is in the works???

Work, work, work.......

Happy daze to all!!!

Steve K

Welcome, Gordon. My dad's from Invergordon so I've stopped in Edinburgh many times. Great city!

Welcome, Gordon. I spent a year (89/90) at St Andrews. Beautiful country, friendly people, great ale!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Welcome, Gordon. My dad's from Invergordon so I've stopped in Edinburgh many times. Great city!
    Thanks Andrew! The Inver prefix means mouth of (the river) so Inverness = mouth of the River Ness. There's so many town names that start with Inver - I once heard someone saying "Aye, he comes from one of the Invers but I forget which one".