Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: online resources for learning to print

online resources for learning to print

Being overseas has meant that I have never had an opportunity to take a printing course or workshop, or even work in a darkroom with an experienced printer. Thus all I know I have gleaned from books and online resources. A lot of stuff online is simply too basic, or poorly produced. The best I have found are listed below, but if you have other suggestions please add them here.

Andrea Calabresi - Darkroom Tutorial #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woXZb8gjG4o This short tutorial explains how to determine correct exposure and contrast filter using an understandable and easily repeatable process. I really like it.

Black and White Darkroom Printing Techniques - Lynda.com - To view this requires signing up for a trial membership with Lynda.com. Most of their courses are digital-related (Photoshop, etc.), so if you are interested in that you might find a lot of stuff on their site you like. For photography, I'm all analog, so I only did the trial. This is a course with about fifteen 10 minute episodes, and is the best thing I have seen for beginners, and also includes a very good explanation of split contrast printing. It will be interesting to compare this approach to Andrea's single filter approach described in the video above.

I'm distracted these days by wet plate and camera-building, but as soon as I get this out of my system I plan to spend a lot more time in the darkroom exploring the negatives I have been making over the last five years, so I am open to learning whatever I can. So, if you know of other good resources, please add them here.

Re: online resources for learning to print

Careful consideration and practice
    Don't think anyone needs any more and frankly whatever someone teaches you will still require you do the same
    Cut out the middle man

This is always sounding more to me like
    How can I print to look most like someone already known to be good rather than how do I get better myself

Make the water look wet necessitates knowing what looks wet not just the techniques used in making it look wet on one negative shown in the class

Most of the time you want to accentuate the tonality
    Micro contrast
    Differentiating similar tones on the print
    Heightening drama

You have to know what looks dramatic
    Ain't nobody going to teach you that in a workshop

I invented split contrast printing within
    Well, shortly after getting my first enlarger
    I wasn't the first
    But I had no knowledge of it before doing it the first time

Actually, I defined a topic for this thread and asked specifically for recommendations of online resources. If you are unable to address the topic please refrain from posting. Thank you.

Some of the major university programs have little to no cost online photo programs... Check with them...

Also, is "haikusque" a word!?!!!!

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Hi Tim

I am about 1 month away from posting a large number of videos about printing on my website. I am hoping they will be up before Sept 10th, you may be able to glean something from them. www.bobcarnieprintmaking.ca

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Actually, I defined a topic for this thread and asked specifically for recommendations of online resources. If you are unable to address the topic please refrain from posting. Thank you.

Thanks Bob. I'm looking forward to that.

Actually since this site is public and we all know there are no rules limiting discussion when within the TOS anywhere in the internet you'd be hard pressed to get me under any sort of violation unless perhaps I chose to go completely left field on you and discuss mating rituals

Besides
    I did give online printing pointers
    No need for web addresses
    I'm my own

If large format photography forums printing sub forum isn't a good enough resource to attain pointers and help in printing

Wtf?

"A very good explanation of split contrast printing"

I invented it on my own probably within a week of getting an enlarger!
    I did not need any cogent coherent concise explanation cause I went and experimented on what seemed common sense

If a paper can be any grade=it can be multiple grades within a single print=now its time to play
    Now its yours

I didn't know that in order to learn you must promise to review your teachers when done
    Mini lff printing resource review?
    Is this a thread on learning to print better...when time permits from your other stuff
    Or is it to hold an intellectual discussion on what isn't very intellectual- printing
    I really couldn't tell last night and now less sure

I'm off to find the heroes of this profession who were self-taught
    You've read books
    Watched videos

But you aren't sure of yourself because you've never been to a workshop before
    Been the student
    Or should we say
    Disciple
    Of some learned master

Its printmaking.

Seriously
    Review this

"I've read books watched videos done all these things"
    Then you review a YouTube bid that shows you how to arrive at proper contrast and exposure length.

Not jiving. You watched a vid of what you had already read. Simplest stuff yet you really like it.
    How is relearning the so.plest of things advancing you as a printer when you came in beleaguered by the fact that so much is too basic

Cmon man
    Get serious

http://www.photoquotes.com/printable...tes.aspx?id=17

Elliot erwitt quotes on printing

Word of master or Lynda.com
    I don't know

Nothing wrong with seeing things done but again
    If you can't see for yourself you don't have much chance in applying what you've been shown
    How would you know when that technique is needed?
    Seriously.

You're never going to shortcut the practice and I firmly believe that with the practice comes the techniques
    Perfect practice
    Which means experimentation
    Constant
    Not just daily straight prints in the darkroom

http://phototechmag.com/patience-practice-and-printing/

I just looked this up for you
    Jim sexton negative to finished print

Does not take you on a trip from step 1 through to 30
    If you look you can see what's been done
    It then is really up to you to duplicate it using whichever techniques you have
    I didn't know sexton used bleach but looking at the final print I felt he had
    Later in the text he reveals he did some selective bleaching

I see a lot of flat contrast prints around online and can't help but think people equate that with platinum or such and since they've read how beautiful its tonality is have come to believe flat prints are the standard of elegance
    The G1 lie