Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dektol

dektol

This information probably exists on here but I haven't found it yet.
    I'm looking for info about developing Arista 400 film in Dektol. Two different uses for the film will be,1:making inter negatives from color slides and 2:film shot in camera.
    Most of the in camera shots I've been making lately have been paper negatives which are developed in aged and or diluted Dektol so I have fresh and aged Dektol available.Both types of resulting negatives will eventually be used for carbon printing.
    Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age 'cause I could run some tests but am hoping not to reinvent the wheel and pick up some good advice on here.
    Thanks in advance,
    Don

Re: dektol

Run some test. Someone else's development times will likely be useless in your situation unless all parameters are the same.

I have not used the Arista 400, but I have used (fresh) Dektol 1:1 for in-camera 11x14 negatives for carbon printing -- times around 6 minutes. Quite pleased with the results, but it will take a bunch of fine-tuning based on the range of the scene's brightness, and of course, on your carbon tissue (type and amt of pigment) and sensitizer method/strength.

Have fun!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Curious as to why use Dektol for this?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The reason for Dektol is that's what I have on hand as well as the Arista film and thought I'd give it a try.

Vaughn what about for Carbon?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Dektol was intended for use as a print developer, and I've never seen recommendations for use with film. That doesn't mean it can't be used, but as Luis said, you are on your own and probably won't find any published time/temperature starting points.

Many years ago, a friend mentioned that he had used Dektol to develop 35mm Tri-X - he wanted to increase contrast and emphasize grain, and dektol gave him that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    Dektol was intended for use as a print developer, and I've never seen recommendations for use with film. That doesn't mean it can't be used, but as Luis said, you are on your own and probably won't find any published time/temperature starting points.

Many years ago, a friend mentioned that he had used Dektol to develop 35mm Tri-X - he wanted to increase contrast and emphasize grain, and dektol gave him that effect.
    Wrong, Dektol/D72 was originally formulated and sold as a plate and film developer and used for rapid processing 1+2 4 mins at 18ºC according to Kodak Ltd. Later Eastman Kodak began recommending it for prints but it was many more years before it replaced D163 in the UK.

Ian

I think when I was a kid Kodak had a"TriChem Pack"sold to process both film and paper.Always suspected it was Dektol but don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Wrong, Dektol/D72 was originally formulated and sold as a plate and film developer and used for rapid processing 1+2 4 mins at 18ºC according to Kodak Ltd. Later Eastman Kodak began recommending it for prints but it was many more years before it replaced D163 in the UK.

Ian
    I don't know about use in the UK, but in the US D-72 was sold primarily as a print developer and D-76 was the prime film developer. I didn't begin using these until 1939, so I can not speak to usage prior to then. D163 was never in common use in the US from 1939 on.