Thread: Toyo View D45 film back problem

Toyo View D45 film back problem

I recently pulled my Toyo View D45 out of storage and started purchasing some extra gear for it. I picked up a Toyo 69/45 6X9 120 roll film holder for a reasonable price and was excited to use it. It works fine however after extracting it from the film back of the Toyo I noticed the ground glass stage no longer sits flush against the main body of the back. It appears the spring steel is now tension-ed for the rather thick roll film holder. This is annoying to say the least as now I have a focusing problem: the ground glass no longer sits at the film plane. Is this a structural/mechanical problem for the D45, because I can't find this problem mentioned anywhere. Can it be fixed with adjustment? Any advice appreciated. I can post photos if necessary.

This my first post as a new member. Many thanks for all the posts I have read over the past view weeks as a non member.

Re: Toyo View D45 film back problem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toyoback4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	138962Probably the springs got out of place due to opening the back so wide. You can probably put them back in place. Would help if you post pictures.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Very common with older toyo backs. Spring has popped off the glass frame cam, and easily fixed.
    Take the frame off, locate the short spring arm and use a small screw driver to push it back over the cam.

If you look at Jon's photo of the back, you see those two little hex head screws at the top??? Those are the tension screws, and a turn with a metric hex wrench will adjust them... If still not enough tension, remove those screws and the springs will slide out, and tap them with a flat hammer on a hard, flat surface to straighten them out, and try again...

Those springs are not tempered very well, and will bend out if you use a thicker holder, such as a Pola 545, Grafmatic, Calumet RH, etc., so remove GG focusing panel and use the Graflok slider bars to hold these down with this camera back... (Just use CFH's under this focus panel...)

Steve K

OK wonderful replies, many thanks. Very heartening. It's late night here in Canberra, Australia. I will begin the dismantle process in the morning and see what I can see. Will post photos and results.

Here a couple of photos Jon. The back is a little different to the one you posted:

Name:	toyoback2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	138980 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toyoback1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	138979

The end on shot clearly shows the gap. The side on shot shows the setup. The steel springs don't appear to have jumped out of anything as both ends are secured.

However I have been able to safely remove the ground glass. Those little screws hadn't seen the light of day for while and were a reluctant to start now.

For the next step I need a tiny hex/allen key. not sure what size yet but smaller than the smallest I have. Will be visiting various stores this morning looking for one to fit.

More to come yet.

Smile Re: Toyo View D45 film back problem

Got the 2 pieces separated. You can see the height of the steel springs. Applied force with multigrips roughly where the springs are still attached. I used padding so as not to injure the metal.

Name:	toyoback3.jpg 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	138984 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toyoback4.jpg 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	138985

Re-assemble. Job done.

Name:	toyoback5.jpg 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	138986

Now I guess I have to decide whether to get a second back, perhaps more modern, that I can use for the 6x9 roll film holder. And keep this one purely for cut film.

Many thanks for all your help and advice!