Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 11x14 camera build attempt - Questions

Re: 11x14 camera build attempt - Questions

That's something I was going to ask: how you were scanning. That detail is beautiful--and 700DPI is puny. Incredible.

I'm so excited to finish mine when I finally get a few free weekends!

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    That's something I was going to ask: how you were scanning. That detail is beautiful--and 700DPI is puny. Incredible.

I'm so excited to finish mine when I finally get a few free weekends!
    Good luck! You'll really enjoy it when you work on yours and let me know if you have any questions on my build to help you with yours.

Scan? Why go to all that bother when you can contact print? Slightly kidding.
    Alternatively, depending on what you want to do with with the scans, I've seen a number of people make a serious case for getting a good macro lens on a DSLR and stitching together those photos of the negative on a light table instead of a scanner. This appeals to me because I would have a second reason for getting a good macro lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Scan? Why go to all that bother when you can contact print? Slightly kidding.
    No, that's a point totally worth saying. And I have every intention of contact printing--I'm guessing that Pali is, too. If all I wanted to do was scan, I'd probably stick to 4x5! There's already more than enough resolution there for superb scans.

Still, contact prints are difficult to share and discuss here.

Scanning seems like overkill for sharing here unless you are going to scan for some other reason. A phone camera gives more pixels than we can use here, I think.

But, Inwant fewer electronic gadgets in my workflow than more. Y'all may be different.

Mark - I completely agree with your points but I do enjoy getting decent scans to share here and on social media. If it makes you feel any better, I do spend equal if not more time in the darkroom prints than my digital workflow and most of my images that get framed are the ones that have been printed in the darkroom

11x14 is primarily a contact printing camera but I do want to share my excitement with you guys too. Hah.

Pali

For those folks thinking lenses for this and larger formats must cost a ton, they might not. I stuck a 1 diopter (1000mm) focal length close up lens in a window today and more/less blocked out the rest of the window with towels. It formed a huge image on a whiteboard I used as a focusing plane. It covered something like 2x3 feet so there is enough coverage for way bigger film than 11x14. Nb lens wide open was about f22---it's designed to fit 49mm filter threads. If you need faster lenses for wet plate or dags see reinvented equipment site.

Thanks for pointing that Mark. It's good to know. I have been using my primary 8x10 lens (Symmar-S 360 f6.8) which also covers this format. Very well at portrait distance and fairly well at infinity.

I did however picked up a Nikkor 450 F9 thay just arrived today with primary goal to use it with this camera for both 11x 14 and 14x17 format.

Also restocked 16x20 bw paper so I can start contact printing my negatives. Wish it arrives before major storm but I know that the storm will likely delay the delivery until next week.

Finally made some contact prints last night - love the results.

I also picked up a Nikkor 450MM for the camera. I think I can modify the camera slightly so the lens can fold with the camera. Will post pictures of this when I have it ready.

Pali

Since you have metal that sits higher than the wood on the camera back, I recommend putting your ground glass protector away from the glass instead of what looks to be directly on top of it. Polycarbonate flexes and will break the glass if something contacts it hard enough. Airspace would prevent that.