Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does 4x5 film sleeve light proof ? do they exist?

does 4x5 film sleeve light proof ? do they exist?

i was wondering if 4x5 film sleeve light proof exist ?

when unload the holders in order to keep shooting i usually store the negatives "all together" in the film negative light proof boxes (kodak etc..)and than i process ""all"" at once .
    but whet if i have to process 1 neg at the time using custom timings ? how can i remove those negs from the holder while keeping track of "what is what" ,

so i guess that a simple 4x5 film single sleeve light proof would solve the issue (you could label each individually on the outside )

do they exist though?

googled it but can't find any

any other solution perhaps ?
    how do you deal with this?

thanks!

g

Re: does 4x5 film sleeve light proof ? do they exist?

Interesting question. I'm still in the process of getting gear and planning out a workflow methodology for travel work, but personally I was planning to use light safe boxes as the light protection, and assume the sleeve was not light safe.

The unprocessed negatives would be transferred from the holder to sleeves/envelopes (which would probably be labeled with tabs in brail so I don't even have to see them), which then reference the shot's notebook entry. (Individually numbered sleeves would protect against accidentally placing in the wrong batch box, and allow grabbing a specific frame if there is something that I want to rush the processing on rather than waiting for it to come out as I process the whole lot.)

When I get home I would sort through all the notes to make a list of batch frames and unique frames, and then sort everything based on the sleeve reference number. Once sorted into groups I could then take one group at a time, or one individual frame for completely unique processing, and unload the sleeves while everything else is securely tucked away where it can't get mixed up.

But I guess an important question more in line with the original poster's question is that if light proof sleeves are available, then do people actually trust them enough to handle them outside of a full dark space?

Lachlan 717

Have 3 boxes - one each for Normal, one for expansion and one for contraction.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    ditto
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Nice and simple ...
    But I guess should be a box for +1 + 2 + 3 and -1 -2 -3...?

Quote Originally Posted by gabriele turchi View Post
    Nice and simple ...
    But I guess should be a box for +1 + 2 + 3 and -1 -2 -3...?
    Few if any modern films are capable of a +3 and none that I use so scrub that one. And for anything beyond a -1 I use divided Pyrocat. So I only need 4 boxes.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Drew Wiley

An option to multiple boxes is to simply cut off a corner in the film changing tent with a pair of blunt kiddie scissors. The cut is outside the image area. For example, no corners cut for "N", corner adjacent to code notched for N+1, opposite corner for N-1 etc. Then sort out the sheets in the darkroom after a trip.
    Funny, but every single sheet of film I exposed this last trip falls into "N" anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    An option to multiple boxes is to simply cut off a corner in the film changing tent with a pair of blunt kiddie scissors. The cut is outside the image area. For example, no corners cut for "N", corner adjacent to code notched for N+1, opposite corner for N-1 etc. Then sort out the sheets in the darkroom after a trip.
    You nailed it, Drew. Simple and effective.

A tip from the old mechanical data processing days: in the darkroom place the films in a stack, hold up on end, tilt and tap on one corner. All the sheets with a cut on that corner will be moved down to that corner. Pick off those that aren't dropped which leaves the clipped together. Repeat for each corner of the remainder.

A more sophisticated method uses a film registration punch for select corners. In the darkroom push a stiff wire gently into the slot, raising the wire will drop those that do not match. Push in gently on the remainder as you go through the stack. Repeat. Done.

If its possible for me to scratch a negative I will certainly do it. So I always need to minimize handling. The box is a better solution for the manually challenged
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: