Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Packaging from Kodak

Old School Wayne

Re: New Packaging from Kodak

This is the best news from Kodak in a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    It's JUST a box, folks... As long as the contents doesn't suffer, why should the packaging matter in they long run?
    OH!! Is there something in the box? I guess there is, barely. Like mostly air and what, 8 or 10 sheets of film?

Don't get me started on Kodak sheet film packaging
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    It's JUST a box, folks...
    Do not say that to the packaging engineer; he/she will give you a long lecture on why it does matter. Years ago I worked for Mattel Toys as a material coordinator in charge of the packaging. One time a label for one of the toys arrived from the vendor and the colors did not closely match the engineer's specs. We needed the labels to keep the production line running so it took some hard bargaining to convince the engineer to accept that shipment. Howard Tanger

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tanger View Post
    Do not say that to the packaging engineer; he/she will give you a long lecture on why it does matter. Years ago I worked for Mattel Toys as a material coordinator in charge of the packaging. One time a label for one of the toys arrived from the vendor and the colors did not closely match the engineer's specs. We needed the labels to keep the production line running so it took some hard bargaining to convince the engineer to accept that shipment. Howard Tanger
    Yup, these days I'm also a packaging and label sales guy, selling labels to small businesses (like small pet food stores etc, anything with a label on it) and the colors really matter!

Frankly, I don't give two hoots if it all it said was "product name ...." on the label, and the use by date. I mean, TO ME it's "just a box", but I guess other people get the warm 'n fuzzies when they see all the gold boxes piled high in their freezer... Sorry, other things give me a hard on, like looking at beautiful transparencies(that came from a yellow Kodak box most likely) on a light table , or that feeling of "knowing I got the shot" without the need for a digital screen to reinforce my technical abilities

just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tanger View Post
    I agree, in SOME cases it's very much warranted. I don't think this "slip up" would have happened in the heydays of film. But then again, EVERYBODY (had) to shoot film, since that's all there was, so E.K. was making gobs of cash, so they could afford to scrap a bad run of boxes. Nowadays, I think it's in their best interest to simply stay profitable. Heck, the box is STILL a similar(but not exact) shade of yellow, at least it ain't hot pink or aqua blue

-Dan

I cannot afford their film anymore. Hello Ilford

remember the cool metal cans Kodak 35mm film used to come in?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    remember the cool metal cans Kodak 35mm film used to come in?
    120 film, too.

Oh, and the 35mm film cans were thick metal that were painted various colors. I suppose the colors were to designate the kind of film inside. I will bet that someone somewhere around here will have a chart of those colors.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    120 film, too.

I will bet that someone somewhere around here will have a chart of those colors.
    You sayin' we're mostly geezers???? )))

Sonny, I gots empty TRi-X 4x5 boxes from when they sold 'em with 100 sheets! I gots empty Zone VI Brilliant boxes from when it was only graded! None of that newfangled variable compost stuff.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com