Thread: How to Load the Jobo 2509N Reel

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

How to Load the Jobo 2509N Reel

Over the years I have found many forum members expressing the difficulty of loading the Jobo 2509N reel. Initially I too had the same or similar difficulty and after trial and error arrived at the following procedure for loading the reel which has proved both successful and fail-safe for me.

How to load the 2509n reel:

1. Load the film (emulsion towards the inside) from the inside of the reel outwards. The biggest difficulty when loading is that the sheet has a tendency to remain straight while the reel is curving and it slips out of its channel. You can “help” the sheet along by exerting a slight inward pressure on the sheets leading edge with your index finger while pushing the sheet in with the other hand. When the sheet is fully inserted into its slot, gently rock the sheet back and then forward and you will feel that its locked into its slot.

2. There is a sharp-pointed protrusion on either side of the reel at the 2d slot. If the 1st sheet is correctly loaded in its slot, there will be a space between the sheet and the protrusions. When the 2d sheet is correctly inserted, there will be no space between the sheet and the protrusions: Both protrusion will be up against the back side (base) of the film. Load the 3d sheet.

3. Load sheets 4, 5, and 6 in the opposite side of the reel in the same way.

4. With both sides loaded, locate the protrusion located on the inside of the reel at the entrance to the slot where the first sheet is inserted.. With the tip of the index finger on that protrusion “aim” the slot for it on the “wing” ( with the wings channel pointed inwards towards the center of the reel and “4x5” facing outwards towards you) and insert it onto the protrusion. Sometimes you'll hear an audible “snap” when you hit the target. Then “aim” the wing to its position on the opposite side. Inserted correctly the wings will slide backwards and forwarded in their respected slots similar to the film in their slots.

5. With both sides loaded and the wings in place, insert the reels center post, place in the tank and put the tanks lid on and you're ready to process.

Using the Jobo 2521 tank, you can safely and easily process up to 6 sheets of 4x5 film at a time. Larger 2500 series tanks will allow you to process using multiple 2509N reels.

Thomas

Re: How to Load the Jobo 2509N Reel

I use the 2509N reel, but I only process 4 films at a time - mainly because I have two film holders -ie four images.
    I DO NOT use the 'wings' and to date have not had any problems due to their omission.
    Also I find it easier to load the sheets of film with my eyes closed!!!!!!
    I find the slots and wiggle each film into its appropriate slot.
    I do 'on side ' first and then load the other side - using the innermost and outermost slots.
    I works for me.
    regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    When the sheet is fully inserted into its slot, gently rock the sheet back and then forward and you will feel that its locked into its slot. With the tip of the index finger on that protrusion “aim” the slot for it on the “wing” ( with the wings channel pointed inwards towards the center of the reel and “4x5” facing outwards towards you) and insert it onto the protrusion. 5. With both sides loaded and the wings in place, insert the reels center post, place in the tank and put the tanks lid on and you're ready to process. Using the Jobo 2521 tank, you can safely and easily process up to 6 sheets of 4x5 film at a time.
    Thomas
    I use the 2509N but only process four films at a time - it suits my usage.
    I find that the loading the sheets of film into their respective slots is best done with MY EYES CLOSED!!!!!!
    I use the innermost and outermost slots and load one side of the reel first and when two films are inserted (and locked) I load the second side.
    Always I have the centre post inserted into the reel BEFORE I load the reel with film.
    I never use the 'wings' and have not had any problems with their omission.
    It works for me
    regards
    Tony

Oops sorry I did not intend to post twice

Tony

When processing 6 films I would recommend to use the wings, if the film is a bit "floppy" the films will touch, the wing prevents this The old reel: 2509 had no wings and is best used with 4 films only, leaving one "slot" empty in between, unless you have a sturdy film to process (old MACO/EFKE comes to mind, defenitly a no with Rollei film)

Best,

Cor

One thing I forgot to mention: When the sheets are correctly inserted into their slots you will feel an even spacing between them on their ends. If there is no space, or very little or if there is a "bow" on the edge, then that sheet is not correctly inserted.

Thomas

Just rearranging the darkroom, and was moving the Jobo stuff around, it's been a while since I've processed 4x5 in the 2521 drums (5 years?), so this was a good overview to refresh the old brain. I remember there being a discussion a few years ago about which way the 2509 reels should be placed in the drum, clear side down or black side down, and I don't recall the debate's conclusion (if there was one). I just scoured my pile of Jobo instructions and didn't see anything that mentions the proper orientation. I think the issue is that if the center post is inserted in one orientation the reel will actually spin (possibly) inside the tank which you don't want since you'll get uneven development. You want the reel to spin at the rate the whole drum is spinning. I tried the reel in both orientations and I did notice that with the black side down (clear rings up) there "might" be a little bit of movement. Anyone remember this discussion or have any insights into this (maybe Bob Solomon?)?
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

If you load the sheets from the right then it will be black end down if you insert it in the drum without flipping the reel over. I believe that black end down is the correct orientation since any light managing to enter the light trap will be absorbed by the black reel ends and not scattered about as it would by the clear ends.

Thomas