Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a 4x5 Speed Graphic

loujon

Re: Purchasing a 4x5 Speed Graphic

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    The lens is incorrectly stated to be an Ektar, but there is nothing wrong with the Optar.

Hey Kevin

I think you made the same mistake I did. The 1st time I clicked on the eBay link the OP provided Somehow I wound up w/ a Pacemaker Graphic/Opatr lens w/ Graflock & a BIN price of $399. The OP actually bought a Anniversary Graphic w/ a Tessar lens & a spring Grflock back.

When I went back a second time (because like you I saw an Optar on a Pacemaker & Graflock back then I checked again and found the correct camera on discussion.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The camera pictured is indeed a 4x5 Anniversary model Speed Graphic, made between 1940 and 1946. ...
    probably closer to 1941. In 1940 the speed plate was on top.

As mentioned, it's 4x5. but, I'd return it anyway and get a better one: Pacemaker with a graflok back, in better condition should only be in the $350-500 range. Ultimately a better choice than a beat up, dirty, older one with the less-desirable back.

Thank you so much for all your replies; it's been extremely useful reading through as well as having it correctly identified.
    It's been mentioned that the tension knob is apparently missing. I presume this means I won't have access to the focal plane shutter?
    Is this easily remedied? as the fp shutter was the main draw for me of the Speed Graphic.

$350-500 is slightly out of my price range at the moment, so maybe it's a sensible idea for me to return it and wait until I can get a better condition Pacemaker, if it's true that the one I bought has no redeeming qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    It looks like a 4x5. The lens is incorrectly listed as 3.5cm, but that is because most of the "1" is worn off. The lens is actually 13.5cm (135mm), which is correct for 4x5, and everything else looks proportionally correct. So, you should be fine.
    Ha ha... you're right. I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by VulpesVulpesVulpes View Post
    Thank you so much for all your replies; it's been extremely useful reading through as well as having it correctly identified.
    It's been mentioned that the tension knob is apparently missing. I presume this means I won't have access to the focal plane shutter?
    Is this easily remedied? as the fp shutter was the main draw for me of the Speed Graphic.

$350-500 is slightly out of my price range at the moment, so maybe it's a sensible idea for me to return it and wait until I can get a better condition Pacemaker, if it's true that the one I bought has no redeeming qualities.
    You may want to double-check that upon receipt. It looks present to me. Bent a bit but that may not affect its operation. I would suspect from the looks of the FP shutter axles that it may need servicing... which is quite normal.

If you ever need a Graflok back swapping the spring back for a Graflok is a very easy thing to do. But if all you are using are regular DDS then the spring back will be fine.

Saying this has no redeeming qualities is perhaps a bit of a stretch. It may have some challenges and not be 100% ideal, but it looks complete and usable to me.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    You may want to double-check that upon receipt. It looks present to me. Bent a bit but that may not affect its operation. I would suspect from the looks of the FP shutter axles that it may need servicing... which is quite normal.
    YEP. Brian is correct the tension knob is present (sorry I missed that) so if the FP shutter is in the body and the other parts present then at worst you can do or have a CLA done & any repairs on curtain that may be needed. Hopefully it needs little to no work but in experience it probably will need some attention.

Hope it works out but & in NO way does this/your Anniversary have no redeeming qualities. It has plenty.

There is a seller I bought mine from who i recommend. PM me and i"ll share the details with you if you'd like.

Looks like a great camera. I like those better than the Pacemakers. More shutter speed options, bigger lensboard (such as if you want an AE), you can build your own lensboards if you have a tablesaw. I use a pre-anniversary (older) variant for these reasons. You can add a graflock back later if you want. That looks like a 4x5. Graflock is only super important if you want to shoot instant film or use a roll film back.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Looks like a great camera. I like those better than the Pacemakers. More shutter speed options, bigger lensboard (such as if you want an AE), you can build your own lensboards if you have a tablesaw. I use a pre-anniversary (older) variant for these reasons. You can add a graflock back later if you want. That looks like a 4x5. Graflock is only super important if you want to shoot instant film or use a roll film back.
    Me too. I like anniversary graphic better than my supergraphic most of the time too. But I build lens boards with hand tools using 1/8" modeling plywood (two pieces glued). Not counting the time for the paint to dry it takes about 20 minutes.