Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some things I'd like to see made.

Some things I'd like to see made.

I own two vintage/antique LF field cameras; Glowing brass and lusterus woods as nice as fine furnature . . .I like them.

However: I'd like to see a few things mad with 21st Century design , materials and methods.

How about a Holga-style P&S in 4x5, 8x10 . . .ULF too maybe. Later on: Simple to start. I'd be willing to seal it up with gaffer;s tape and do some shimming in early models. These early models followed by more complex ones with modular, swappable parts later. Hopefully, the Wanderlust TravelWide will evolve this path towards new products.

What about a modern film handling system? The Mido system from the 1980s comes to mind (it didn't work that well then and diew early). A redesign with new materials and mfg process.

Another direction would be a mostly plastic Grafmatic-typefilm magazine. Light weight,light-tight and low cost (I hope!).

What would you like to see?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Some things I'd like to see made.

Keeping in mind that this would be for a very small and shrinking market.

How about instead of the GG, it was actually a digital display (that was still WYSIWYG), and would still be showing the scene when you have the film holder in place! Runs on a single AA battery and/or solar cell, and weighs less than the glass it replaces.

Might as well have a switch on it that can invert the image (and/or reverses it)...for those of us who like to have the image upside down!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

an 8x10 reflex camera for studio use

(yeah..I know there were a couple made..but I don't have one)

I'd like an application that runs on a tablet or smart phone that allows you to input all of the information about a particular exposure or shoot, and then when you get home downloads it to a SQL compatible database. Preferably one that is dictation friendly.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I'm not sure I like it, but digital film. Similar to Vaughn's idea above (which probably would be difficult because the sensor would block the film). A holder-size apparatus (any holder size) with a sensor on one side and screen on the other. This could be used in any existing camera by merely removing the ground glass. Because the shutter would be in the holder, any lens (barrel or in-shutter) could be used easily. This provides color, black and white, a right-side-up image, unlimited images, and the ability to see what you are shooting at the moment you release the shutter. This will happen, I'm sure.

For the other ideas, and regarding Bob's comment, yes, it is a small market, but the ability to print/manufacture one-offs from a digital file already exists, and the capability of this technology is likely to increase while the cost decreases, so twenty years from now you could order a new plastic Grafmatic and it would be produced on demand.

Gowland did pocket 4x5 monarail back in the days. it would be nice to use todays methods to make pocket 8x10 monorail. one simple CF rod with tow standards only axsial tilts and rise fall. simple light and easy to tare down and pack in a small bag...

also new Carbon Fiber 8x10 film back would be grate

New materials can integrate nicely with old. Here's a carbon fiber lensboard on my speed:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...otolist-ed8Ttq

I'd like Michael Grave's app but for the darkroom.

The holga LF thing would be tough as focusing is more precise with LF than MF. If you want soft photos with LF, there's a lot of nice options way better than a holga. If you want sharp photos, there are many options way better than a holga.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I'd like an application that runs on a tablet or smart phone that allows you to input all of the information about a particular exposure or shoot, and then when you get home downloads it to a SQL compatible database. Preferably one that is dictation friendly.
    I think that's possible now with a rigid conformity to order etc. I used Voice recognition software to write many essays and my final project while at University in the late 1990's it was remarkably good then, these days it's even better. The voice recognition on my iPad is brilliant I just rarely use it and haven't used the voice recognition built into the lst few versions of Windows either, just had to check it's still here in Windows 10 - it is.

Not sure why I didn't use voice recognition when I went back to University again, maybe it's the time needed for training the software.

Ian

I'd like to see a Linhof Technika with interchangeable bellows, and non-integral structural parts (such as the front door, lens boards, etc) fabricated from carbon fiber to lighten and strengthen it.
    It's still a great and almost unique camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)