Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak 2D repairs - an idiot check,

Re: Kodak 2D repairs - an idiot check,

I have had quite an experience with restoring a Kodak 2D shooting mainly x-ray film here are my key points on the camera
    Light leaks ;I wondered when looking at the various old time photographers why they carried their cameras with a dark cloth attached to the 2d
    here is why because they leak light like a mongrel. What was the solution they draped their cloths over the film holder which ensured light tightness,
    My worst light leak was the rebate that the film holder seated in when fully seated, .I bought the 2D in 4 different sections and put it together
    with no issues except the film holder issue. my solution was to attach a piece of black velvet in the rebate( I used some double sided tape to fix it in place)
    the second area was the sides of the film holder the slightest of leaks were occurring,my solution was to fit some more velvet,
    on the inside of the back so the velvet did the trick this was a PITA to find and depended upon the light direction and intensity( i raised the velvet 1 to 1.5 mm
    higher than the timber and this worked nicely).
    I bought new bellows from China and they are great,I had no rear bellows frame and made mine out of MDF and screwed and glued the frame and bellows together
    after the bellows were fitted I screwed the frame to the timber back as I thought this was the light leak point, to ensure ligh tightness I used Black silicon around
    all 4 sides.
    My last 4 sheets are without any leaks what so ever. PTL
    My beast is a people magnet, when I get it out I have interruptions all the time,'whats that' 'wow' 'why would you bother! It is slow deliberate and immensely satisfying
    when the duck all fall in a line, printing it so easy with a contact frame.
    look forward to see your work.
    NB; I have just bought 50 8x10 sheets of Foma 200 that is my next step.
    A couple of shots showing my leaks and shots without the leaks.
    Scan-131223-0004 by barsus2001, on Flickr
    this shot was a 17 minute exposure within 2 mtrs of traffic and car headlights with no apparent leaks at all.
    Scan-150313-0003 by barsus2001, on Flickr
    My latest shot in bright sun
    AD3R7700.jpg by barsus2001, on Flickr

Re: Kodak 2D repairs - an idiot check,

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz8 View Post
    I have had quite an experience with restoring a Kodak 2D shooting mainly x-ray film here are my key points on the camera
    Light leaks ;I wondered when looking at the various old time photographers why they carried their cameras with a dark cloth attached to the 2d
    here is why because they leak light like a mongrel.
    Cheers Bazz,

Looks like I'll be replacing the bellows - think I'll take the easy option and go for the ones on ebay from Japan as they've got frames. Just need to strip the gears and fix the alignment, and possible build an extension rail as the one that it came with doesn't quite match and it jams (seems to be at the rails on the side as they don't line up on one side). . .