Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel trays ?

Stainless steel trays ?

I was just given three 8x10 stainless steel trays by a photographer friend who works digitally and was cleaning out his closet.

I am just curious if there are people out there who prefer stainless steel trays for some reason and is there any reason I shouldn't just drop these trays into metal recycling.
    I use glass for my developer tray and regular plastic for the other steps. Not sure why I should add them to my already large enough pile of trays.

thanks
    Dennis

Re: Stainless steel trays ?

If you don't want them, I can use them. PM me. Thanks! L

In a world full of plastic, I find them a welcome treat. Toss your plastic ones in the recycle bin and keep the SS versions. Many years ago I picked up some really heavy-duty 8x10 stainless steel development trays (aka Corrosion Resistant Steel) at an estate sale. Man, I'd think they'd cost $75+ each today if you could buy them new. One thing, an 8x10 SS tray full of fluid does not fllex when you are holding it by the ends agitating a print.

Luis, I just got them this morning and I am still thinking it over if and why I would find a use for them.

Vanannan

I use a temperature controlled water jacket in sink, for me the advantages are as follows:-

They are less buoyant than plastic allowing a deeper water bath.
    They are more heat conductive than plastic allowing more accurate temperature control with water jacket or tray heater.
    Will not stain (easier to clean).
    Will not break.

Oh! and they look real pretty in my deep blue GRP sink

Drew Wiley

Tony said it. Plastic insulates, but stainless quickly transfers temperature, so is best for water-jacket use. Of course, you have to have the right kind of stainless
    to be inert to darkroom chemicals. I have sets of wonderful dimple-bottomed stainless trays, slightly oversized, utterly ideal for sheet film development. But I also
    have some huge ones which probably cost a fortune new, but which I got virtually free. I presume these were once used for water jacket processing of big graphics films, like those previously used in dye transfer printing.

Ok thanks for the thoughts guys. These are Compco brand, obviously for photo use as they have the raised X in the bottom. I do have a process that I use a water bath for and the weight holding the tray down is a good point.
    Also it is true that they are prettier than my stained up plastic trays. So I guess they are keepers. I do wish they were just a tad larger.
    Dennis

Drew Wiley

For weights on bigger trays I simply glue brass pipe caps below the tray, to each corner, which also serve to elevate the tray to the correct height in the water bath, as needed.

They are good for making lasagna.

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    For weights on bigger trays I simply glue brass pipe caps below the tray, to each corner, which also serve to elevate the tray to the correct height in the water bath, as needed.
    Tried that, they fell off, what glue did you use?

I fixed lengths 8mm plasic pipe along the bottom of my sink to allow better water circulation under the trays as well as increasing the depth of water so it would cover my thermostatically controlled heater and to give more depth for the intake of my fish tank circulating pump.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1165.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	137990