Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reply with quote

I may be a grumpy old man...no wait...I know I am a grumpy old man, and because of that character flaw that I have acquired over the years, I find myself shaking my head at my monitor as I scroll through a particular thread, any thread, but usually the LF Portrait thread, when members are offering positive feedback on a portrait, and because they use "reply with quote" I have to see the same portrait over and over and over again as I scroll down to (hopefully) find the next submission. I don't like this practice when (in my opinion) it is a good portrait, and I really don't like it when (in my opinion) it is not a particularly good portrait. Why would I want to see the same portrait multiple times on the same page...?
    That is why, when I "reply with quote" I usually cut out the image portion of the text UNLESS I am commenting on an image that was on a previous page.

If this has been addressed before, as usual please ignore.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Re: Reply with quote

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I may be a grumpy old man...no wait...I know I am a grumpy old man, and because of that character flaw that I have acquired over the years, I find myself shaking my head at my monitor as I scroll through a particular thread, any thread, but usually the LF Portrait thread, when members are offering positive feedback on a portrait, and because they use "reply with quote" I have to see the same portrait over and over and over again as I scroll down to (hopefully) find the next submission. I don't like this practice when (in my opinion) it is a good portrait, and I really don't like it when (in my opinion) it is not a particularly good portrait. Why would I want to see the same portrait multiple times on the same page...?
    That is why, when I "reply with quote" I usually cut out the image portion of the text UNLESS I am commenting on an image that was on a previous page.

If this has been addressed before, as usual please ignore.
    Yeah, this practice makes me crazy as well. I mean, I know you're the one talking in the post before me but I can't help it.

Actually what's worse is when their reply is inside the quote for some reason.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who leaves the image in if the quote is from a previous page.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I agree, although your previous page may not be the same as other people's previous page. We can also identify the photo we comment on by noting the post number or member's name.

joseph

I may be a grumpy old man...no wait...I know I am a grumpy old man, and because of that character flaw that I have acquired over the years, I find myself shaking my head at my monitor as I scroll through a particular thread, any thread, ...
    It doesn't bother me, since the internet is infinite and my scrolling finger is hardly over-exercised.

It's particularly useful when referencing an image on an earlier page, since each page contains only 10 posts. It's also useful to see the comments pinned to the image in question, and I appreciate that more than having to search back for a post number or a user name.

i don't know, maybe I'm just not quite old enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    It's particularly useful when referencing an image on an earlier page, since each page contains only 10 posts.
    You can change that with your Forum settings.

Back to Randy's concern: unfortunately there's no ideal solution to this one, since how the tradeoffs balance will depend on an individual's viewing preferences, Forum settings and web setup.

UNLESS I am commenting on an image that was on a previous page.

No need to even do that especially since what is YOUR previous page may be different for someone else). If you are quoting a post, then people can click on the arrow to the right of the quoted person;s name to be taken directly to the post being quoted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PreviousPost.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	137904

Thanks Greg

I'd never noticed that. Personally I prefer to only quote the relevant section(s).

Ian

From my POV it is a good thing. As I visit the picture threads infrequently and never go back very far to see what I have missed, this practice gets me to notice images I might have missed.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Because I'm lazy to hit the delete key.

...and I really don't like it when (in my opinion) it is not a particularly good portrait. ...
    I will make an effort to delete ugly photos in my 'Reply with quote' next time around. Though, I don't reply to ugly photos - it's considered rude.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy