Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre (silly?) question of the year attempt: 5x7-to-4x5 reducing film holders?

Re: Bizarre (silly?) question of the year attempt: 5x7-to-4x5 reducing film holders?

OK, 5x7-to-4x5, too:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...g-Film-Holders

Before anyone gets excited: these have long been out of production. I'm not even sure Toho Shimo is still in business any more - they're certainly out of the photographic equipment business.

Re: Bizarre (silly?) question of the year attempt: 5x7-to-4x5 reducing film holders?

In theory you could first load a piece of 3"x5" card thick enough to fill the space under the film rebate rails then load a piece of 4"x5" film sideways to use up the remaining space in the film holder. Ok, the 4"x5" film is way off centre but it's in the camera. And you could mark the ground glass to delineate where the 4"x5" film is...in theory.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Better yet, a 1.5x5" card on each side of the 4x5 film. Or use metal, and include a lip on one 5" side of each piece to help hold the 4x5 film flat.

just get a 5x7 to 4x5 back for whatever camera you get

added bonus.. your 4x5 film will be in lighter/smaller 4x5 holders instead of larger, heavier, more expensive 5x7 with adapter holders

I have a 4x5 back for my 5x7 Linhof tech..I use it to shoot 2x3 polaroids with

hahahahah..I also have a 4x5 back for my 8x10 for the same reason

Toho did make the reducing filmholder, but obviously, the reducing back is going to be the easier solution to find. Some 4x5" cameras with reversible backs are actually 5x7" cameras with 4x5" reducing backs anyway.

There is one more roundabout way of doing this, if you happen to have the odd collection of parts, which I do, to make it possible (so I can use 4x5" film with my 5x7" Press Graflex, which is actually out of commission currently). There were 5x7"->4x5" reducing frames for glass plate holders, and 4x5" film sheaths to convert plate holders to film, so you could get some 5x7" plate holders, reducing frames, and film sheaths, and you'ld be all set!

Some cameras have slider backs which allow 2 images on 8x10, 5x7, 4x5 and 2x3. Not the same camera usually, but possible.

I have used them all. Great for quick 2 shot portrait sits, way faster than changing DDS, divider plates or 1/2 DS.

I also have 5x7 plate holders with 4x5 film inserts, but I just dust them. Not for sale.
    Tin Can

moltogordo

Well, I appreciate knowing that my post might actually not be silly . . . that others have thought of this before as is usual in the LF world. I really think after reading all the comments that the best and safest way to go is to get the 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back.

I really appreciate the comments and I've learned a lot.

Kodak Ltd sold reducing Inner carriers with hinged backs to convert Plate holders to use film, while the listed sizes are to reduce Whole plate to Half plate and Postcard sizes amn Half plate to Postcard size and Quarter plate. They did state that other sizes can be made to order.

One benefit of a reducing back though is 5x4 DDS are smaller and lighter than 7x5 DDS.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by moltogordo View Post
    Well, I appreciate knowing that my post might actually not be silly . . . that others have thought of this before as is usual in the LF world. I really think after reading all the comments that the best and safest way to go is to get the 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back.

I really appreciate the comments and I've learned a lot.
    With all the costs involved, gasoline, film, etc. you do not want to gamble with film registration. Get the reducing back.

As to silly, bizarre questions, we have a champion here, Heroique, who you will never surpass.

I have never sone this , but . . . .

What about using Grafmatic septums? Centered in the 5x7 holder and taped down or epoxied in???
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!