Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have 8x10 GAS!!!

Re: I have 8x10 GAS!!!

Ektascan B/RA is probably the cheap+practical way to get into 8x10. I'd still get some normal film too, like FP4+. I have fp4+ and tmy2 in addition the ektascan, sometimes you need normal film quality and results and it's worth the extra dough part of the time.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I enjoy shooting 8x10 for portraiture and still lifes, everything else its pretty much 4x5, I have only one lens for 8x10 and that is the fujinon 250 6.7, I think portraits and still lifes look awesome contact printed
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

8x10 is a lot of fun, and impressive to see when it's done well.
    I gave up on 4x5 and use the Pentax 67, which I find to be a pretty good substitute; but there's no substitute for 8x10.

How I built my 8x10 kit without going broke:
    1. I did a part trade for a used camera in good condition so I could go out and shoot. I didn't want a project that might sit around and I'd risk loosing interest.
    It came with a lens board.
    2. Added a used heavy duty tripod. Even used they aren't cheap so prepare to part with some serious $$.
    3. My bride sewed me a new dark cloth. Yes, you'll need a larger one than for a 4x5.
    4. Loupe, meter, developing trays, timer & cable release came from the other formats I shoot.
    5. Lens---my first lens was an old 14" APO Artar in a cla'd dial set Compur (yes it does cover 8x10,)for around $450 IIRC. You can find cheaper vintage glass
    depending on what you're after. I've found both a 14" Commercial Ektar and 240 G Claron very useful and either should make a good first, maybe only lens
    for an 8x10 shooter if you have the bucks.
    6. Film holders. I bought 3 for $35 from an advertiser in Shutterbug Black wooden Graphic made for Eastman Kodak. No such luck today I'm afraid.
    good used plastic Lisco or Fidelity runs $60, wood slightly less. I suggest buying from a reputable source. Check them with enlarging paper and exchange any
    leakers (you know the drill.)
    7. A box of Arista film (then it was relabeled Ilford FP-4+)

That will get you going and you'll be in a position to add or upgrade if and when good deals on useful gear present themselves. Avoid chasing magic bullets---investing in film, paper and chemistry will serve you better.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Film is the only thing that'll really get ya because you never want to cheap out on that stuff but Ektascan BRA and paper negatives are another option.

I have found that while 8x10 contact prints are nice, 11x14 (or thereabouts) are nicer. I love my 8x20 contact prints. So be careful you don't end up like me doing small enlargements of 8x10 into 11x14. Or, you end up in real ULF land (like 11x14) even though you never wanted to.

I seriously started first in 8x20 before I drifted back to enlarged 8x10. Haven't shot a 4x5 in ten years

I can attest to 8x10 being a magnet of people...maybe not chicks though. Set that bad boy up at a popular viewpoint in a national park and there will be more pictures taken of your camera than of the actual scenery. I counted over 75 pictures taken of my camera (that I actually saw being taken) at McWay Falls in Big Sur a few weeks back. As far as 4x5 and 8x10 comparison, I shoot both. 4x5 has its purpose, as well as 8x10 and for 95% of the prints you make, you'll never notice the difference - especially if you're like me and you scan everything digitally. I can say that I enjoy shooting 8x10 more than I do 4x5, for sure. Not exactly sure why...maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

I was just looking at some 8x10 transparencies today on a light table. Stunning!
    Go for 8x10. You won't regret it. IMHO it's the best mix between size, use and availability of formats. And you can use a reduction back to use any smaller format

I can go further, see more, shoot more, and just make better use of my time shooting 4x5 in general.

But 8x10 is certainly fun, and contact prints are great. Save for really large prints or a shallower DOF in some situations though, 4x5 is more than good enough.

Now with an 8x20 in my possession, I just have to figure out something to shoot with it - not going to just hike out with it like I do on a casual afternoon with the 4x5. So the allure of larger and larger formats is certainly there.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

These are great points...things you only realize after you either make the jump $$$$ or ask this type question of people who you know are real photographers.
    Thanks!!!
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...