Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warning about Eizo Monitors Service Policy

Re: Warning about Eizo Monitors Service Policy

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    How many years ago was this?
    IIRC... That was circa 2008.

After reading Lenny's latest post...
    It does now sound like the 'current' situation has improved.
    --

Re: Post #18.

>> Here you go... 10,000 hours on LCD Panel...

Thank-you for the updated information Lenny. Greatly appreciated!
    Understood in full now.

Personally, *I* still think that Eizo... Should do something for you.
    But then again... I guess 'That ship has already sailed'.

Regards, -Tim.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...o+delamination It looks like no one else has yet to post about this that i could find.
    .... if one uses a mac (for whichever reason) buys a product with poor mac support, it cannot possibly be the manufacturers fault?
    Well, you might have a little better luck if you searched of "Eizo" instead of "Ezio". I put in "Eizo monitor issue" and found a number of issues reported.

Regardless, I don't mean my single experience to be any more than that. I have not told anyone they shouldn't buy one, I am only reporting what happened to me, which I was upset about. I don't suggest that this happens to everyone (or will), or that it hasn't happened to anyone else. I do expect that when a company charges a lot more for the same thing that the customer service should be better. Maybe I shouldn't think that...

Since Mac represents a large percentage of the Graphics market, which includes Photography, I would imagine that a monitor targeted at this market ought to work well with my choice for editing.

I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to prove what an ass I am. I just freaked out that the issue, which I originally reported back in December, was going to cost $1200 instead of $200, which I am not willing to pay; and now I am going to end up throwing out this monitor and buying a new one. I went to my favorite place to vent, a place where I feel a member of the community, where I have lots of friends and plenty of people who can relate, on one level or another.
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Well, you might have a little better luck if you searched of "Eizo" instead of "Ezio". I put in "Eizo monitor issue" and found a number of issues reported.

Regardless, I don't mean my single experience to be any more than that. I have not told anyone they shouldn't buy one, I am only reporting what happened to me, which I was upset about. I don't suggest that this happens to everyone (or will), or that it hasn't happened to anyone else. I do expect that when a company charges a lot more for the same thing that the customer service should be better. Maybe I shouldn't think that...

Since Mac represents a large percentage of the Graphics market, which includes Photography, I would imagine that a monitor targeted at this market ought to work well with my choice for editing.

I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to prove what an ass I am. I just freaked out that the issue, which I originally reported back in December, was going to cost $1200 instead of $200, which I am not willing to pay; and now I am going to end up throwing out this monitor and buying a new one. I went to my favorite place to vent, a place where I feel a member of the community, where I have lots of friends and plenty of people who can relate, on one level or another.
    You are right, thats my mistake, though this search:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20delamination
    Only brings up your comment, here from late 2014.

You are right, thats my mistake, though this search:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20delamination
    Only brings up your comment, here from late 2014.
    You won't get much searching for delamination. Just definitions. If you follow that logic, you can assume it has never happened to any monitor ever. It happens a lot to LCD panels. If you search for "delamination lcd" or "eizo screen problems" you get a lot more references.
    EigerStudios

I bought a Lacie 526 years ago and can say I am really happy with the purchase, I also have two mac screens which serve me well.

I think that Eizo has a responsibility to give serious consideration to Lenny's problem.. When you say you leave the screen on all the time do you mean with a screen saver or just on? If just on
    I can see their hesitation.

FWIW I am using the numbers to calculate my grey balance and I do not rely on the screens for colour balance issues, They all look pretty good in a darkened room , with good colour management
    procedures my first print is basically matching, the different screens within a point or two which is then easily balanced to clients taste.
    There is no replacing tone on paper vs image emitting through a monitor.

Gone are the RA4 test strips and maybe two or three corrections to get final balance. Now its one test and go .

Lenny I think you will be well served with a current mac monitor.

I have seen bad Eizo monitors right out of the box with uneven illumination. Of course they replaced them-no problem at all.

I have been able to use all kinds of top end monitors for extended use including the Eizo. IMHO (in terms of their effect on print quality) the difference in these monitors with decent color management is about 5%. What I mean by this is I expend about 5% less time and materials arriving at a final print. So I have never thought I needed the best. even with an Eizo and the best color management one has to do test prints. One pretty quickly is able to determine small deficiencies in one's monitor vs. output by doing test prints and that time and material runs about 5% more once you get some mileage under your belt with a given monitor.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, I am in agreement. There are certainly very lousy monitors, less these days, but none of us are using those. In my process there isn't much difference at all. When I print a new image, I've seen it in the world, and I've seen it in the negative, the scan and on the editing monitor. I have an idea that it might be interesting, but at that point I don't know what it will look like as a print. I don't have a preconception of what the print will look like. I like it to be an organic process. I print it, get it close to a "normal" look, then I study it. I ask myself if this is what the image is about. I let it sink in for days. I make another print and add some expression one way or the other. Having a calibrated monitor has meant that the moves I make afterwards are predictable. If I add two points tot he curve, the print will change accordingly. However, since I don't have a preconception of what the print needs to look like, a monitor's accuracy doesn't much help. I still have to do the same every time...
    EigerStudios

Kirk, you only print B&W, is that correct?

Richard, I only print in house for myself and that is my B&W. I have tons (faaaaarrrr more than my personal b&w) of my color commercial work printed by high end print shops, magazines, billboard companies, book publishers, architects, interior designers etc. which I closely supervise.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"