Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning about Eizo Monitors Service Policy

Warning about Eizo Monitors Service Policy

A couple of years back I purchased a 27 inch Eizo, CG275W. It came with a 5 Year Warranty. Don't believe it.

Last year, my monitor started to de-laminate. I contacted Eizo and they told me that everything but de-lamination was under warranty. They said it would take $200 to fix. I had to cover the shipping (with a new box, which they wouldn't sell me, I figure about $200, maybe $50 to get it back.) Loaner while its being repaired? Forget it.

I just bought a used monitor to use and was about to start getting it boxed up, then I re-read the email. It said $200 labor PLUS parts. Oh, wait, the parts are another $980. I am not paying $1200 to get this thing fixed, especially when it should be the company's responsibility under the warranty.

I like Macs, I'm going to wait until Apple puts out a nice 5K monitor with a reasonable color space (I don't care about full Adobe RGB, I look at the print anyway). I know it will likely be next year when the Skylake chips become more available. That way the software will get updated whenever Apple updates an OS, which Eizo didn't do well.

Regardless, I figured I'd pass this along. Buyer beware.
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Re: Warning about Eizo Monitors

Sad thing about a CG275W on a Mac is that you don't get a full 10-bit color path to the monitor. While the userland software, video card and monitor support 10-bit color, Apple's driver for the graphics card does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    That way the software will get updated whenever Apple updates an OS, which Eizo didn't do well.
    I've been using NEC monitors (most with spectraview) for maybe 20 years now. The only one that gave me a problem was a 25 kg CRT monitor -- after about seven years, it got a little flaky so I had to slap it when it was cold. Even then it kept running for years until it finally got so old I couldn't calibrate it anymore. Maybe 10 years of service from it running it every day? Both my wife and I are using NEC 24" LCD panels now without problems, the youngest one is probably two years old.

The only reason I ever even considered EIZO was the hardware calibration, like NEC's spectraview. But at twice the price.

Sorry about your troubles Lenny. But thank you for helping me get over my EIZO envy.

Oh, yes, I've never seen a software update from NEC. Get them all the time for the graphics card, but never for the monitor itself. That, I think, is a good thing.

Bruce Watson

Re: Warning about Eizo Monitors Service Policy

I have been using my "tiny" CE240W for 7-8 years now. Still works great. When it dies, I probably will get the 270W and hope that I don't run into trouble. I like the color and B&W bit depth a lot.

Preston Birdwell

Lenny, sorry to hear your tale of woe with Eizo. I hope you get it sorted out.

Bruce, you might want to check at NEC for a newer version of SpectraView. Usually, the updates deal with bug fixes and/or support for newer monitors.

Here's the link to the SpectraView download page.

I have two NEC monitors--an older 22 inch, and a year old 27 inch. I calibrate both SpectraView, and they have been excellent and reliable.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Sorry about your troubles Lenny. But thank you for helping me get over my EIZO envy.
    Well, I was venting, to be sure, but I am happy I could do this for you ;-)

I think there are a number of very good monitors out there. The Spectraview certainly comes to mind. I want an Apple because they work well with Apples. Hopefully the next one that Apple makes will be reasonably good. We'll see.
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Diden't we already have this thread once a while back?
    Lenny seems to be the only person on earth having this issue.
    FWIW - a monitor used for 4 years has done its duty and once over.

There is nothing to compare to Eizo, thats why they have little advertising, charge a premium and have a massive market share in various industries where it matters. (IE not home users).

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    A couple of years back I purchased a 27 inch Eizo, CG275W. It came with a 5 Year Warranty. Don't believe it.

Last year, my monitor started to de-laminate. I contacted Eizo and they told me that everything but de-lamination was under warranty. They said it would take $200 to fix. I had to cover the shipping (with a new box, which they wouldn't sell me, I figure about $200, maybe $50 to get it back.) Loaner while its being repaired? Forget it.

I just bought a used monitor to use and was about to start getting it boxed up, then I re-read the email. It said $200 labor PLUS parts. Oh, wait, the parts are another $980. I am not paying $1200 to get this thing fixed, especially when it should be the company's responsibility under the warranty.

I like Macs, I'm going to wait until Apple puts out a nice 5K monitor with a reasonable color space (I don't care about full Adobe RGB, I look at the print anyway). I know it will likely be next year when the Skylake chips become more available. That way the software will get updated whenever Apple updates an OS, which Eizo didn't do well.

Regardless, I figured I'd pass this along. Buyer beware.
    Here it is.
    Seems that the numbers have changed some between dec 14 and now. Or did you buy another 27" Eizo with the same problem, and now got a new quote to fix it?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1188307

When I bought my Eizo, the store had the Apple Cinema Display 25" and the Eizo 24" side by side. At least at that time (7 - 8 years ago), the difference was quite apparent, especially for B&W. The Eizo displays a lot more gray shading. (I use Windoze)

Of course the 5K Mac Display is absolutely gorgeous. If I can afford it, I might buy an iMac just for that display....

I think data point as reported by Lenny is good - it makes us all be aware of the situation and we can make better decisions.