Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road trip from NYC

Re: Road trip from NYC

crossing into Michigan at Sault Set Marie would be a good drive. The Sudbury to Sault section not as much as the Hwy 69 stretch. Lots of good opportunities to get out with the camera, esp so if you like water and rocks. Shld be some derelict abandoned gas stations/ motels as well.

and the US dollar will go far in Canuckistan

and blueberries. LOTS of blueberries for sale in and around Sudbury. I'm talking the small explosions of flavour wild ones.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    If you do go into Canada be sure to downplay the goal of photography. I know of photographers who were going from the USA to Canada on photography assignments who were refused entry.

Why?

"Because there are Canadian photographers who can do the job."
    I used to get the same questions and hassles when crossing into the US. Now I say I'm just a hobbyist.
    And to answer Alan Klein: yes, both Canada and the US now require you to show a passport to cross the US/Canada border.
    Not that long ago, a driver's license was enough.

Or just a wave of the hand once upon a time long long ago. I recall that the school buses in some rural areas used to cross the border several times on their routes.

Les

Actually, I need to correct the myth. Five states (including NY) offer Enhanced Driver License....it has security features...and both sides accept this form of ID at the border. In fact, I used to had one and used it. However, if anyone wishes to fly to Canada....this type of ID will not be honored.

Hmmm, 5 days isn't much. I'd either follow your own desire or whatever sounds good. If that was me, I'd run somewhere...away from the humidity. Tho you might be more accustomed to it.

Good luck.

Les

we've decided to head into vermont. neither of us have been before. from what I've heard from people I can expect dairy products and maple syrup. But what else is there?
    aaronamodt.com

Quote Originally Posted by baronvonaaron View Post
    we've decided to head into vermont. neither of us have been before. from what I've heard from people I can expect dairy products and maple syrup. But what else is there?
    Good people.
    Tin Can

Burlington is a quirky little city, lots of fun.

Vermont. Visit Bernie Sanders. Help him with his campaign. Also Green Mountains. Go up to Equinox Mountain. Great view of numerous states from outpost owned by a monastery. manchester is near by. Nice town with quaint stores and outlets like Eastern Mountain States and LL Bean.
    http://www.equinoxmountain.com/visit...nter_index.php

If you're into beer and get lucky you might get a can of heady topper, purported to be the best beer in the world.

Coming north out of NYC on route 187 will be Lake George north of Glens Falls and Queensbury. Remember that all the month of August Saratoga Race Track will be open. Lake George is scenic and crowded with summer vacationers. North of there is Fort Ticonderoga which you may find interesting. From Glens Falls head east on route 4 up to the ski areas then take Route 100 north through the central part of the state. Farms, small towns, Ben and Jerry's, Stow Ski Area. From there head west through Smugglers Notch to just north of Burlington. Head south to Burlington and then continue south along the eastern side of Lake Champlain on route 7. This loop will drop you back to the southwest corner of Vermont and then out to route 187 for the drive south. This loop will give you camping opportunities and a scenic view of the state. The Vermont tourist bureau will have maps and points of interest along the loop that may be to your liking as well as camping information.
    Ric