Thread: Any Rumors, News or Info On Updates to Epson Stylus Pro 900 series printers?

Any Rumors, News or Info On Updates to Epson Stylus Pro 900 series printers?

This is a post from a very desperate person!

I have been fighting with my 7900 for the past year.
    Have sort of been getting by but the problems have gotten worse.

Already spent countless hours, ink, paper and over $700 on one repair which didn't solve the issue and it looks like I'm heading for a head replacement.
    I have had my 7900 for over 3.5 years. I would have liked to have kept it for another 10.

This line of printers have not been updated for a long time.
    If there is anything coming out this year I would prefer spending money on a next gen Epson (hopefully with some of the previous issues resolved) than put it into my current 7900.

Has anyone heard anything on an update to the Epson Stylus Pro 900 series printers?
    It would be greatly appreciated if anyone with any info (and mercy) is willing to share it.

Thank you.

Re: Any Rumors, News or Info On Updates to Epson Stylus Pro 900 series printers?

I have no idea if anything is coming out this year, but I suspect in the next few there will be something--they just updated the 3880, which has been a long time coming, and I heard a unsubstantiated rumor of a new line of wide format printers from epson that'l add an additional black ink and violet, but that they'd release the 64" one first.

3.5 years is about average for an x900--I've seen at least five of these (4 9900s and a 7900) go at right around that mark, and it's always the printhead.

Re: Any Rumors, News or Info On Updates to Epson Stylus Pro 900 series printers?

I wish they had an update that simply made it work better... I know, stupid

These are specifically designed to fail in that time. The 3-year warranty period is over and its time you pay full price for service.... Wanting to keep a printer longer than that does not make sense.

One should buy an Epson for the length of the warranty period, then either sell it or toss it and get another...
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I guess my experience is different. I have had my Epson 9600 for over 12 years now. I had to have a couple of maintenance services on it over the years (which is normal) and now need another one, but it looks like Epson has stopped making the parts. All in all, it has been a true workhorse. My last count shows almost 800,000 cm of paper (thats 26000 linear feet) and 41,000 ml (almost 1400 ounces or 44 quarts) of ink used. So these printers can last quite a while. Maybe I was lucky. I will try to get it serviced one more time if possible. I take the printer to my local service center and in the past, the service has run me about $400, not all that unreasonable. If I can't get the service done this time, then I will have to look into a new one. I will probably look at the 9890 (I think that is the one). It currently goes about $3100 delivered. I have heard from several of my photographer friends that the 9900 printer had had some problems. Then again, a friend with the Canon equivalent has had to replace his heads twice. Not sure there is a "perfect" machine. But I have certainly been pleased with my 9600.

I bought a 2+ years old 7900 in the beginning of this year so I certainly hope it will last more than just another year.

OTOH, I used to have a HP Z3100 and it died after 6, and apparently most people would have problems with the HP Z's belt after 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    I guess my experience is different. I have had my Epson 9600 for over 12 years now. I had to have a couple of maintenance services on it over the years (which is normal) and now need another one, but it looks like Epson has stopped making the parts. All in all, it has been a true workhorse. My last count shows almost 800,000 cm of paper (thats 26000 linear feet) and 41,000 ml (almost 1400 ounces or 44 quarts) of ink used. So these printers can last quite a while. Maybe I was lucky. I will try to get it serviced one more time if possible. I take the printer to my local service center and in the past, the service has run me about $400, not all that unreasonable. If I can't get the service done this time, then I will have to look into a new one. I will probably look at the 9890 (I think that is the one). It currently goes about $3100 delivered. I have heard from several of my photographer friends that the 9900 printer had had some problems. Then again, a friend with the Canon equivalent has had to replace his heads twice. Not sure there is a "perfect" machine. But I have certainly been pleased with my 9600.
    the older epsons are great--the 9600s and 9800s seem to last forever, it's the x900 line that seem to kick the bucket, or at least the print heads go. It's really lousy.