Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobo 3025 vs Catlabs CL81 vs whatever else is out there for 8x10 daylight dev

Jobo 3025 vs Catlabs CL81 vs whatever else is out there for 8x10 daylight dev

I want to develop film more often but turning my bathroom into a darkroom every time is a really pain in the neck. I want to look into getting a development tank for 8x10 film. The only two I know of so far are the Jobo 3025 and Catlabs CL81. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of these and could let me know their honest opinion about them. Perhaps someone could also post some of your results from using either system? I'm so used to developing in trays that I am worried about uneven development in processing tanks. Would love to just see any results to prove my doubts wrong...because these processing tanks are very very expensive lol. I want to be 100% positive that I'll be 100% satisfied before clicking buy.

To anyone who has used either processing tank please let me know what your pros and cons are of using whichever tank you own.

Re: Jobo 3025 vs Catlabs CL81 vs whatever else is out there for 8x10 daylight dev

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    I want to look into getting a development tank for 8x10 film. The only two I know of so far are the Jobo 3025 and Catlabs CL81.
    There are many options beside those. The Jobo Expert drums 3004 (four sheets) and 3005 (five sheets) are expensive but superb. Less expensively, there are many print drum options from Jobo and others than can handle one or more sheets of 8x10 film with good results if you are using standard (i.e., non-pyro) developers.

I see one seller on eBay right now offering Jobo 3025 drums for $299. That's way too much money for what it does. I'd either save up for a 3004 or 3005, or if that's not practical I'd begin with an inexpensive print drum and see how that goes. Afraid I can't speak to the CL81 from my own experience, but there's a thread on it here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...81-experiences

Re: Jobo 3025 vs Catlabs CL81 vs whatever else is out there for 8x10 daylight dev

In the "whatever else is out there" category are Cibachrome 8x10 drums. I use them on rotary bases for all my daylight negative developing and they work really well. (They are cheap, too.) The only two drawbacks are A) negatives need a final fix in a tray to clear the anti-halation backing completely, and B) you can only develop one negative per drum. Since my volume of 8x10 shooting is quite low, I don't mind. If you need to develop multiple sheets at once it might not be the best solution for you.

Jonathan

The Expert drums are excellent. I have one for 4x5/5x7 and another for 8x10. A big advantage over Cibachrome, Unicolor, Beseler and similar drums is that the tubes into which the film is placed are barrel shaped. This allows solutions to reach the back of the film and there are no ribs which often leave streaks.

Paterson orbital! i use two tanks for developing two sheets at the same time. i think for the price there should be a diy alternative as the technology is plain simple!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    ...I'd...save up for a 3004...
    How much should I save up? Where can I buy one?

If only Jobo would resume production of the 3004. It isn't like I'm asking for Kodachrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    How much should I save up?
    These days, I'd reckon the price will be $400-500 - plus any opportunity cost one would incur with the substantial time investment that will be required to monitor discussion boards and auction sites for the very occasional appearances thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    If only Jobo would resume production of the 3004. It isn't like I'm asking for Kodachrome.
    Aye!

Yea buy the 3004 and not the 3005, because I'm looking for a good 3005 for about $300 if you take mine I will give you the stink eye

I think on the high side you'll find some of either for Oren's price of $400-$500 but they can be had for $300 if you are patient, all my expert tanks were $300 or less.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

For developing one or two sheets of 8x10, the Jobo 2830 is the way to go. For five sheets, the Jobo 3005. I have and use both. I don't put off developing so if I have only one sheet to develop like I did yesterday I'll use the 2830. The minimum amount of chemistry required by that drum is 100mL - the same amount of stock Xtol for each sheet according to Kodak.

Thomas

How big is the Jobo 3005? Would I be able to develop film by rolling it on a table or would I need to buy a motorized base? If I would need a motorized base could someone point me to one that would work well with the Jobo 3005?

Also, I've never used Jobo tanks (only stainless steel)...I'm a little confused on how the tank fills up when there are 4-5 barrels for the film to sit in. Do they fill up evenly? Are there ever any problems with one or two barrels not getting enough chemistry in them?