Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie 5x7 woes

Re: Newbie 5x7 woes

I know I will be castigated for this, but you happened to purchase probably the heaviest and most clumsy 5x7 ever built. You have a good lens, and apparently good holders. I believe you would be better ff to look for a better camera rather than another tripod. A regular flat bed Agfa/Ansco is identical above the rail to the Grover, but lighter and much more practical to use. There seems to be an unending supply of better cameras at decent prices, especially when weight is a factor. I suggest taking advantage of one of them.

moltogordo

No, Jim, you will not be castigated at all. As a matter of fact, I couldn't agree with you more. I bought this camera only because it was $75, and it gave me an entry point. Right now, I'm going to start saving for an 8x10, with a 5x7 back as well. Maybe a Cambo, maybe a Toyo Field?? I'm open to suggestions.

As I said, I gained entry. And frankly, I think if I can handle this beast, I can handle anything!!! The project became more fun as it went along! So any idea is welcome!

moltogordo

I still have to look for a better tripod though, Jim. I have a Toyo GX now, and that will be my dedicated tabletop camera. It is a beast, and nothing I have now will be really solid enough for what I want to do with it. Just so you know that I'm not going to waste a heavy, top end tripod on the Grover. Maybe an old Sanford or something . . . .

I'm kinda wondering if you happen to have gotten some 13x18 film holders instead of 5x7.
    The reason being, I believe that 5x7 paper is a little larger than 5x7 film and won't fit in a film holder without trimming.

However I have been wrong before, and may be wrong again.

moltogordo

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Artist View Post
    I'm kinda wondering if you happen to have gotten some 13x18 film holders instead of 5x7.
    The reason being, I believe that 5x7 paper is a little larger than 5x7 film and won't fit in a film holder without trimming.

However I have been wrong before, and may be wrong again.
    I have 11 filmholders now, and they're all 5x7. Please check out my first picture in this thread. That's a 5x7 piece of Ilfobrom. Look at the negative overlaying that paper. It isn't even close.The 5x7 paper from Ilford fit in. I could trim about 1mm from the long edge and they would slide in easy, but that isn't worth the trouble. This is also 20 year old stock - it's about 1mm UNDER 5x7 on each side. That's why they fit, albeit snugly, I suppose. My new Arista film would need a touch of a trim, but I can get it in anyway.

The MEASURED dimensions of this film I have is 16.3cm x 12.8cm . . . . that's even a far cry from 13x18. I have ONE 13x18 film holder which I keep in a closet and don't use, and the film is 2 cm shorter than that holder interior, although the 12.8 will fit loosely. No, my filmholders are all 5x7. 3 of them are Kodak holders - they didn't make metric sizes, and they're the same as my Fidelity Elites. Sorry.

I believe the film I have is made for multiple cut 13x18 holders, those jobs that you load 6 or 8 into. As I said in a previous post, some moron in the factory simply put the wrong size film in (probably) an entire batch of 5x7 boxes.

I have used Shanghai 100 in the past in my 5x7 holders and they fit. The delta 100 I just measured seems about 125 mm wide.

I use Shanghai 100 in 5x7 purchased on ebay on Fidelity holders with no problems.

moltogordo

I wish I had your luck, guys. Here's what I got:

Length:

Width:

Picture of the film in the holder (Yes, it IS a 5x7 holder, as are all of my others - you can clearly see it does not fit. This is a quality control issue.) I've solved the issue by taping the film into the holder with a bit of Scotch tape, removed before developing. I'll simply not be buying this film in 5x7 again, because I can't trust it. Yes, the box is marked 5x7 and the seller gave me a 75% refund after seeing the photographs. I've used 4x5 without issue.

joseph

That's Half Plate size- 6 ½" x 4 ¾", or 12 x 16.5cm. I could use some of that, I've got the right holders...

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    That's Half Plate size- 6 ½" x 4 ¾", or 12 x 16.5cm. I could use some of that, I've got the right holders...
    My first thought also. And I think if you find some half plate holders the outside dims is physically correct for the 5X7 camera. So you could use up your film that way.

But . . was it a Shanghai goof. IOW the next box you get may very well be correct 5X7 film, after you spend money on half plate holders.