Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever diffuse your glass?

Ever diffuse your glass?

I'm not sure if I'm in the right subforum, but was wondering if anyone ever uses diffusion over the lens, or if you have any examples to show? When shooting digital cinema, I often use a Tiffen 1/4 Black ProMist on my Red Epic and it makes the digital capture feel much more organic. I think I might try it out on some 4x10 landscapes I'll be shooting this week.

Cheers,
    CB

Re: Ever diffuse your glass?

"it makes the digital capture feel much more organic."

What?

One of the things that's really beautiful about film is how it halates around very high contrast areas. Those tonal transitions are typically pretty ugly in digital capture. Diffusion helps render a more filmic esthetic there... that's what I mean by 'organic'.

I don't with large format. I used to do it occasionally for landscape with 35mm and Cokin filters. I also used a Softar 1 with a Hasselblad for portraits of women.

My suggestion is to try it out with 35mm to see if you like it first. Different filters give different effects too. Too much and it looks like mush.

There are also the soft focus lenses too which I think look better.

For LF, I prefer a soft focus lens to get diffusion. They are good and reward those who practice with them.

When it comes to diffused images, if it's a high detail scene (such as in grand landscapes) sharp is good and leave the diffusion for another time, and if you are trying to show simply shapes and mood rather than detail, diffusion is a good option.

Big Negs Rock!

I shoot with Imagons, pinhole lenses, clean lenses, and whatever diffusion I think is appropriate (I own quite a few diffusion filters). It's all about the image and what it conveys.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Here is an example from our own pages, using a nylon stocking over the lens:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1008951

JP: correct me if I'm wrong, but one advantage a diffusion filter has over a traditional soft focus lens (for landscape work) is that the amount of diffusion is independent of f/stop. Shooting a landscape with a Verito stopped down will look pretty much like a photo taken with a "normal" lens, but a landscape shot with a sharp lens can be softened at any aperture when diffusion is added to the front. Personally, I like the look of SF lenses better, but when shooting landscapes other considerations might be at play.

J.

Pinhole will be soft all over, but equally sharp. Perhaps I mean DOF will be large.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-6-13-2015 606 pinhole.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	137129
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Here is an example from our own pages, using a nylon stocking over the lens:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1008951

JP: correct me if I'm wrong, but one advantage a diffusion filter has over a traditional soft focus lens (for landscape work) is that the amount of diffusion is independent of f/stop. Shooting a landscape with a Verito stopped down will look pretty much like a photo taken with a "normal" lens, but a landscape shot with a sharp lens can be softened at any aperture when diffusion is added to the front. Personally, I like the look of SF lenses better, but when shooting landscapes other considerations might be at play.

J.
    I'll correct you... you're wrong - many SF lenses are dependant of the aperture - many are not.... So it just is a matter of choosing the right type...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    One of the things that's really beautiful about film is how it halates around very high contrast areas. Those tonal transitions are typically pretty ugly in digital capture. Diffusion helps render a more filmic esthetic there... that's what I mean by 'organic'.
    Well as you know, those "black magic" (I think that's the common name? Also called gold diffused I think?) filters have been used since the film days for cinema but they help the HD digital more, especially with headlights and bright stuff in the background, but I think it helps with faces too, makes the skin a little softer, especially for HD.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it's been done before digital, so I'm sure it would probably help slightly, though you'll have to tell us if it's significantly noticeable.