Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 45A 45AII 45AX and 45CF Resource/Fan Page

Re: Toyo 45A 45AII 45AX and 45CF Resource/Fan Page

Just getting back into 4x5 after dabbling with one several decades ago in a studio and I'm near done building a fairly robust core kit based on a Toyo View 45A II. I ave 45 yearsof experience with small and medium (6x7) format film and digital both on the shooting and developing/printing end. Of course the moment I took the plunge for the camera itself I couldn't resist building out a full kit on both the shooting side and also upgrading on darkroom to support 4x5. It took me a long time to decide which camera (mostly for landscape work, but maybe for other things too)

LOVE LOVE LOVE the 45A II !

Mike
    Last edited by firstlightimaging; 31-Oct-2018 at 13:53.

Welcome back Mike! The 45AII is a great camera. It works well in studio and field.

Just a FYI,

I was doing some measuring on my Toyo CF tonight.
    With the Toyo CF, the front standard is about one inch away from the carbon fiber body when a 90mm (flat board) is focused at infinity. Plenty of room to get your fingers onto the front standard knobs... The maximum possible front rise from center/zero on the CF is 35mm rise normally but at 90mm (infinity) its limited to 20mm rise by the bellows contacting the CF body.

-Schaf
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've been using a 90mm Grandagon on a flat lensboard with my cf and haven't noticed any rise limitation but if you are experiencing it just mount your lens on a recessed board. My 75mm Grandagon is mounted on a recessed board.

Besides a greater rise, the cf offers greater front shift than the AX/AII (28.5mm vs a measly 7mm) and a longer bellows (357mm vs 321mm). The MII offers 80mm shift and 90mm rise.

Thomas

Toyo CF. More measuring today.

Again the exposed part of my ground glass is 122.5mm x 92.5mm (edited) so I'm not sure that is showing me the entire 4x5 film area at 100% or if it is a 95% view.
    But the question came up, what is the minimum size for a GG?

If I remove the 2 side metal clips (3-philips screws on each side) that hold the GG in place, I find the Toyo GG in my camera is mounted on the long ends. The GG itself is 126.5mm in the long dimension. I don't think you could mount an aftermarket GG shorter than 125.5 before it would fall into the hole.
    Last edited by schafphoto; 30-Jan-2019 at 11:07. Reason: 192 to 92
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Hello Shaf !

Thank you for your reply and for introducing me to this part of the Forum : )

In regards to the measurements of your GG, I don't quite understand the 192.5mm length... it seems a lot for a 4X5 camera.

However, after you write that your GG measures 126.5 on the long dimension, which sounds good for the purpose of using my GG which, luckily, is also 126.5 mm.
    The short side of my GG, instead, measures 99.5mm so I wonder if it would be extended enough not to "fall in hole". Although you mention that your GG is resting on it's long side, it would be a bit annoying if also the short side would not rest on the frame. How much does the short side of your GG measure, at the end?

Thank you once again,

Pietro

I am

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    Toyo CF. More measuring today.

Again the exposed part of my ground glass is 122.5mm x 192.5mm so I'm not sure that is showing me the entire 4x5 film area at 100% or if it is a 95% view.
    But the question came up, what is the minimum size for a GG?

If I remove the 2 side metal clips (3-philips screws on each side) that hold the GG in place, I find the Toyo GG in my camera is mounted on the long ends. The GG itself is 126.5mm in the long dimension. I don't think you could mount an aftermarket GG shorter than 125.5 before it would fall into the hole.

Yep, sorry it is 92.5mm between the masking clips when viewed.

I'm going to assume we are looking at the spring-back GG frame horizontally and the sides are short and the top and bottom are long. (I hope this makes sense)

The sides are the mounting points that the GG rests on.
    The side mounting clips each have 3 Philips screws, total 6.
    The top and bottom have 'masking' clips (or rails) that crate a smaller viewable frame by cropping into the GG, but are not part of the mounting scheme.
    The top and bottom 'masking' clips are clipped to the glass
    The top and bottom masking clips are removable and the result would be a bigger viewable image on the GG.

The GG extends under the top and bottom (when horizontal) masking-clips a couple millimeters so 99.5 may fit in the physical frame. If the short dimension of the replacement GG is larger than the metal Spring-back frame, the glass will not fit. If your GG is less than say, 94mm the masking clips may not fit, but your GG will not "fall in the hole" if it touches the 126.5 sides mount points.

I'm not at my studio, so I can't measure 'til next week. I didn't measure the short dimension of the GG because that would require removing the masking clips and I remember that being a pain to refit last time I did it. if I had to guess, add 1.5/2mm to the 92.5mm and the guess would be around 96mm. So the dimension you need to be worried about is if 99.5 will fit in the actual spring back frame without hitting anything top/bottom.
    `

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Here's a view of the GG on the Robos from a product brochure:

Note the horizon and vertical scales in centimeters - 12 and a little over 9. The scales cover the rebate area of the film so what you see is exactly the picture area of the film.

Thomas

Hi Schaf! Got it. All clear.
    So basically 99.5 of GG measurement, in it's shortest side, might be too big to fit perfectly in the Toyo 45CF Graflock back.
    Many thanks for your kind help.
    Pietro

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    Yep, sorry it is 92.5mm between the masking clips when viewed.

I'm going to assume we are looking at the spring-back GG frame horizontally and the sides are short and the top and bottom are long. (I hope this makes sense)

The sides are the mounting points that the GG rests on.
    The side mounting clips each have 3 Philips screws, total 6.
    The top and bottom have 'masking' clips (or rails) that crate a smaller viewable frame by cropping into the GG, but are not part of the mounting scheme.
    The top and bottom 'masking' clips are clipped to the glass
    The top and bottom masking clips are removable and the result would be a bigger viewable image on the GG.

The GG extends under the top and bottom (when horizontal) masking-clips a couple millimeters so 99.5 may fit in the physical frame. If the short dimension of the replacement GG is larger than the metal Spring-back frame, the glass will not fit. If your GG is less than say, 94mm the masking clips may not fit, but your GG will not "fall in the hole" if it touches the 126.5 sides mount points.

I'm not at my studio, so I can't measure 'til next week. I didn't measure the short dimension of the GG because that would require removing the masking clips and I remember that being a pain to refit last time I did it. if I had to guess, add 1.5/2mm to the 92.5mm and the guess would be around 96mm. So the dimension you need to be worried about is if 99.5 will fit in the actual spring back frame without hitting anything top/bottom.

This thread left me confused. So you are saying that standard Linhof Super Technika lens boards would not fit the 45AII front standard, but the 45CF?