Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumenzia Photoshop Luminosity Masking Tools

Lumenzia Photoshop Luminosity Masking Tools

I've been using Tony Kuyper's luminosity mask actions in Photoshop for quite a while. Recently, Daniel Moore told me to check out Lumenzia. You can see a short video on it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76TSQJLnahs

The price is reasonable, and the functionality looked great, and so I bought it. I only have a few days use under my belt, but so far I'm impressed. The system makes visualizing the effects very easy, and the the method keeps file sizes down. If you like luminosity masks, check it out.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Lumenzia Photoshop Luminosity Masking Tools

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the helpful post.

I use luminosity masks frequently and find them to be very useful. I like Tony Kuyper's action set which is excellent, particularly the updated version. It's far more robust than the original. Some of the extras, such as the web sharpening action are also great.

I'll definitely look into Lumenzia.

I've found that luminosity masking really provides an excellent and unusual degree of selective control over highlights, mid-tones and shadows. I'm simply unable to achieve the same results with traditional darkroom methods (and IMHO, I'm a very experienced printer).

That said, one has to be willing to scan negatives to photoshop and print via inkjet.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Further on this subject:

This afternoon, I was exploring Lumenzia. It seems to have excellent functionality.

I also found that Tony Kuyper, who developed the original luminosity action panel, has just introduced an even newer version (v4) than the one I've been using. It has more features and better functionality than the previous excellent versions.

Both products, Lumenzia and Tony Kuyper's, are worth investigating if you're a photoshop user and interested in the advantages of luminosity masking techniques.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

I've been using the TK Actions since '09 and they've done wonders for some of my imagery. After seeing this thread, I've upgraded to his V4 Panel. Have you guys seen anything in Lumenzia that warrants adding it in addition to TK V4? I'm heading up to a cabin in Michigan for the week, so I'll have some time to explore the new add-ons (when I'm not out shooting the 4x10 and 'Blad).

CB

Preston Birdwell

Christopher,

Like you, I've used Tony's masks for years and find them to be very capable. I'd to obtain the new v4 panel for CS6, and I would interested to hear how you like it once you've worked with it a bit.

The Lumenzia panel looks interesting, as well.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I couldn't help but notice that he went from a 200 mb file to a 1.4 gig one in the video. (A 7-fold increase.) Does this mean if I start with a 2 Gig file that I will end up with 14 Gigs?

Any of you folks tried this with larger files?
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

To test this, I loaded a high resolution 8x10 scan. It was 2.2 gigs. Using a Lummenzia mask added to a layer increased file size to 2.9 gigs.

Doing the same thing with Tony's channel action gave 3.67 gigs. Deleting the channel but keeping the curve layer with mask gave 2.93 gigs.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

hey Peter.. when working with a large file do you find the computer slows down too much to make any work extremely frustrating?? second question when I have a largish file I cannot get my brush size very big which is a big PIA, For some of my work I love a monster size soft brush with the opacity low to gently curve in burns and then use the ruby mask, shrink the brush size and take out unwanted density.So do you
    have a way of increasing brush size on a 2.9 gig file?

As far as I can tell, the brush size is limited to 5000px. For most things, a 2.9 gig files runs just fine. Really processing intensive processes, such as surface blur, do slow down, but then I rarely use such things. I mainly do masks with curve adjustment layers, cloning, and healing.

I built my computer about 5 years ago, aiming mainly for a good value to performance ratio. It does have 32 gigs of ram, and I use a Samsung SSD as the system drive, with a separate one for Photoshop's cache drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    To test this, I loaded a high resolution 8x10 scan. It was 2.2 gigs. Using a Lummenzia mask added to a layer increased file size to 2.9 gigs.

Doing the same thing with Tony's channel action gave 3.67 gigs. Deleting the channel but keeping the curve layer with mask gave 2.93 gigs.
    So what do you think makes Tony's action so bloated?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"