Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does a book exist for making color separation negs?

Re: Does a book exist for making color separation negs?

I should add I am not dissing the halftone as it is a very strong way of laying down precise colour that will stick. John Bentley's colour palette is beyond belief and accurate , I do not
    think I will ever capture the clarity of this method. I just prefer the fresson, dye tranfer and gum over look.

As I am doing gum colour which may blend easier than the others as the layers just kind of sink into each other.

I have found a lot of intelligent thought in the books Dan Marguilis wrote about digital files. I remember the four courses I took with him were based on a simple premise that
    all colour images have a DETAIL black image underneath with three colours over top. He would sharpen the black negative and slightly soften the colour negatives to get believable
    look. He rarely sharpened any of the colour separation negative but rather let them blend into the colour.
    I have taken this to heart and now my palladium negative is sharpened and holds all the image detail.
    All the colour negatives are not sharpened .

Also the Blend If function is extremely important for tri toned over palladium, I just figured this out thanks to a thread on this site about separating tonal values.
    This creates an interesting phenomenon much like un sharp masking which is surprising as we have made 10 x10 prints from original Iphone capture and the detail is extraordinarily sharp
    within the image. This simple delightful surprise is very encouraging as I move up in size and will do tests to see how magnification of print size is affected by playing with the four negatives sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I agree with Drew... I do not like the halftone look as much as other methods...

I am using continuous tone lay down with four registrations on the aluminum mount. I am getting very happy with the results.. so far fingers crossed its laying down well
    I don't like the halftone look either. Oh it's fine for printing presses because that's what they need. But for individual prints, if a continuous tone is possible... I prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Natenaaron,

I don't know if you need a "book" to run out a set of color separations digitally. But maybe I just know too much and it seems so obvious to me.

Just get a RIP and submit the print job.

Are you looking to become an expert at process color for offset or electronic press print production? Then we might look for resources related to the printing trades. Search for things like Color Management, Device Independent Color etc.
    I want to do tricolor carbon printing. That is the ultimate goal. In the future. Just looking for literature right now.

You may want to send an email to Todd Gangler, he is the expert on this matter and I would hope he would send you in the right direction.
    Your ultimate goal is a difficult path to follow but if you can make it work Wonderous.

Quote Originally Posted by Natenaaron View Post
    I want to do tricolor carbon printing. That is the ultimate goal. In the future. Just looking for literature right now.