• I access the site most often from a desktop or laptop computer

33 19.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Member forum browsing practices

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

Re: Member forum browsing practices

Choices weren't really clear ....

Most often I use a tablet, but it's a Microsoft tablet running Win8 and with a keyboard attached, so I guess it's really a laptop, of which I also have one (Sony Vaio), but which I only use intermittently.

I always use the "view new posts" feature. I often mark "all" the forums read, not just one or two subforums.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    One thing I would suggest is adding "poll" to the headline so us tapatalk users know to go to the Browser to vote.

Also, the option names for browsing are different, I wasn't sure what "new posts" vs "today's posts" was, my option on tapatalk is "timeline" which is all posts that are most recently commented on.

That's the one I use almost exclusively.

If this helps, these are the options available for Tapatalk users (the check marks are the ones I use as default, the others are options available, but that I use very little).

Attachment 136825
    I only use "participated" and "forum" with Tapatalk Pro.

Be easy on Ralph--he's never used it. But the lack of support for polls is a problem with Tapatalk.

Rick "who uses it but doesn't depend on it" Denney

All,

The choices intentionally overlap and if two apply strongly, you can click both. It's not a vote.

Rick "we only need a sense of common practice" Denney

I access the forum from both a desktop and a tablet. But I don't like using Tapatalk, so I access it the same way whether I use the desktop or tablet device.

I voted "from laptop or desktop only" simply because there wasn't a "mostly" option. But when I'm on the road, I will use my table or smart phone if I did not bring a laptop. While I primarily use Unified View, I do occasionally spend way too much time browsing from the index. On weekends, I'm usually out shooting.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

My usage is like Michael's.

I generally visit daily, hit the main index, look at the forums I'm interested in today (practically always the Image and DIY forums, often some subset of the otehrs), and scan the threads that look interesting at the moment. The "New Post" functionality of vBulletin is pretty good about marking the threads that have new content since my last visit, so I can quickly scan for threads I've been following or new ones of interest.

Robert

Re: Poll - Member forum browsing practices

Thanks for the additional details in your responses. The polling features within vBulletin are limited and a bit klunky. Knowing the breakdown between desktop/laptop only and mobile users is helpful, along with the breakdown of index options.

FWIW, my computer uses vacuum tubes, and my smoke-signal blanket doesn't have any options. ;-)

I noticed that I was the only member choosing "mostly desktop or laptop" which seemed odd, so to clarify, I mostly view on my desktop, because it has a good monitor and I enjoy the image threads. But if I am downstairs at home, I occasionally use my iPad, as I am doing now. Never realized I was unique!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Thanks for the additional details in your responses. The polling features within vBulletin are limited and a bit klunky. Knowing the breakdown between desktop/laptop only and mobile users is helpful, along with the breakdown of index options.

FWIW, my computer uses vacuum tubes, and my smoke-signal blanket doesn't have any options. ;-)
    If you ACTUALLY know smoke signals, you would be the only one, AFAIK that knowledge has been sadly lost in the eradication of the tribes who used them. I could be wrong, "Barks At Ralph" might be the last

PS I didn't mean to come across harsh with my "add poll" to the title, I also thought it might be helpful for those on the desktop skimming and the word "poll" is often a Call-To-Action and would get more traffic as identifying it as more than just a discussion.

Thanks for your efforts Ralph and the rest of the mod team.

I only browse with a desktop PC. I never browse specific forums unless I'm looking to buy something specific from the "Classified Ads"... and then I only go back 2-3 days. I only browse the forum with the "New Posts" link and my "Subscriptions".

Sal, I humbly bow to your wisdom.