• I regularly use the "Mark Forum Read" feature within the sub-forums

17 10.24%
  • I access the site most often from a desktop or laptop computer

33 19.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Poll - Member forum browsing practices

Re: Poll - Member forum browsing practices

I took the poll, though no question directly addressed my personal habits since I tend to browse the forum mostly from an iPhone or iPad, but respond primarily from a computer with a keyboard.

Although I don't sell or buy much on the FS/WTB thread it is in my opinion a valuable resource for the community and I hope that it is not taken down. It would appear, at least to me, that the moderators have created a lot of unnecessary work for themselves with all the new rules and prohibitions that have made their way into the forum over the past several years, in the FS/WTB thread, and especially with the Buyer Advisories thread, which seem to create more problems than they solve. I understand it is their intention to set rules to avoid having to spend too much of their time with moderation, but at some point every one of these rules will require some intervention by a moderator, and if an issue is not addressed it is worse for forum morale than if there were no rule at all.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

The URL I use to access the LFP.Info website is:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...clude=17,22,18

So I'm doing a "get new" and excluding three sub-forums from the results.

Bruce Watson

Mostly from my laptop, but a good percentage from Tapatalk on my iPhone.

I like the fact that there's a built-in link in Tapatalk to find my own recent posts and see if there is any followup on discussions I've participated in. I know I could create my own search and bookmark it, but I don't want to give up the real estate on my bookmarks toobar in Firefox to have multiple buttons for the same forum. I'd rather have that search as a button in the toolbar on the forum's website.

When I first log on this is the order that I view the site from my computer:

1) Subscribed threads
    2) Todays posts
    3) FS section
    4) Image sharing (LF) & Discussion

When I'm on my mobile I only check the forums on the internet browser and only look at my subscribed threads.

Not sure if that helps? (I already voted on the poll)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    You might benefit from examining the special link/search syntax that others have posted here, which allow specific sub-forums to be excluded.

There is also some instructions about how to construct your own special link within the following thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ividual-Forums

The original feature is now gone, but the other info may be helpful.
    Ok I got it now. Thanks.

http[colon]//www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?&do=getdaily&days=30&exclude=21,7,27,32,17,33
    Last edited by ic-racer; 21-Jul-2017 at 06:09.

When I logged on the desktop to post in the FS /WTB, thread I saw that about 180-90 ppl were logged in along with ~350 non logged in viewers.
    But seems like a lot less posted on that thread. This thread seems the same way. How's the poll participation? Compared to no of avg logged in users?

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I took the poll, though no question directly addressed my personal habits since I tend to browse the forum mostly from an iPhone or iPad, but respond primarily from a computer with a keyboard.

Although I don't sell or buy much on the FS/WTB thread it is in my opinion a valuable resource for the community and I hope that it is not taken down. It would appear, at least to me, that the moderators have created a lot of unnecessary work for themselves with all the new rules and prohibitions that have made their way into the forum over the past several years, in the FS/WTB thread, and especially with the Buyer Advisories thread, which seem to create more problems than they solve. I understand it is their intention to set rules to avoid having to spend too much of their time with moderation, but at some point every one of these rules will require some intervention by a moderator, and if an issue is not addressed it is worse for forum morale than if there were no rule at all.

Sandy
    +1 Describes me / my thoughts to a tee

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    When I logged on the desktop to post in the FS /WTB, thread I saw that about 180-90 ppl were logged in along with ~350 non logged in viewers.
    But seems like a lot less posted on that thread. This thread seems the same way. How's the poll participation? Compared to no of avg logged in users?
    Its always pretty low on polls and always has been.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Its always pretty low on polls and always has been.
    Yep, the participation level is usually fairly low on polls. Hopefully it represents our equivalent to a "random" sampling, thereby making the results statistically interesting. Probably not, though.

The poll feature within vBulletin is, however, rudimentary at best, making it impossible to construct a poll that covers most possibilities of an issue. But, some information is better than no information.

I don't use Tapalot and I use an iPhone, always, that's when I do log on and read, which is not very often.