• I regularly use the "Mark Forum Read" feature within the sub-forums

17 10.24%
  • I access the site most often from a desktop or laptop computer

33 19.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Member forum browsing practices

Re: Poll - Member forum browsing practices

Browsing this forum is a major pain. The only way I was able to figure out how to do it to keep non-Large Format content from appearing is the following:

1) "Advanced Search"
    2) "Search Single Content" (Why does it always default to "Search Multiple Content?" I don't even know what that means.)
    3) "Search Subscribed Forums" (Why does it always default to "All Forums?" The "Save Search Preferences" button is broken.)
    4) "Search Now"

The above sequence brings up the most recent posts in all the Large Format content sub-forums.

The "Unified View" is close, but, even though it eliminates the "Lounge" it still allows a lot of non-Large Format noise.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The "Unified View" is close, but, even though it eliminates the "Lounge" it still allows a lot of non-Large Format noise.
    Can you be more specific about what you mean by "non-Large Format noise"?

I use "Mark Forum Read" only for global marking, not sub-forums.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I live in Connecticut now.

Poll - Member forum browsing practices

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Can you be more specific about what you mean by "non-Large Format noise"?
    "Safe haven for tiny formats"
    "Small format nudes"
    "6x6, 6x7, 645, etc MF B&W images"
    Etc etc

All the non-LF threads that at this point almost outweigh the LF threads.

I agree there's too much non-LF noise these days on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    I noticed that I was the only member choosing "mostly desktop or laptop" which seemed odd, so to clarify, I mostly view on my desktop, because it has a good monitor and I enjoy the image threads. But if I am downstairs at home, I occasionally use my iPad, as I am doing now. Never realized I was unique!
    I added the "mostly" category after the poll was started, to provide for mixed-device use. Unfortunately, the polling function doesn't allow for changing responses after the poll is edited. So, both numbers will probably represent a mix.

Poll was a bit confusing. I mainly use Tapatalk on phone and tablet but also on a desktop. Principly look at Unified view, FS subforum and the search function. Search function is pretty poor but I guess I could use google search instead. Tapatalk is pretty good when they don't mess it up with an "upgrade".

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Browsing this forum is a major pain. The only way I was able to figure out how to do it to keep non-Large Format content from appearing is the following:

1) "Advanced Search"
    2) "Search Single Content" (Why does it always default to "Search Multiple Content?" I don't even know what that means.)
    3) "Search Subscribed Forums" (Why does it always default to "All Forums?" The "Save Search Preferences" button is broken.)
    4) "Search Now"

The above sequence brings up the most recent posts in all the Large Format content sub-forums.

You might benefit from examining the special link/search syntax that others have posted here, which allow specific sub-forums to be excluded.

There is also some instructions about how to construct your own special link within the following thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ividual-Forums

The original feature is now gone, but the other info may be helpful.

Re: Member forum browsing practices

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Not enough choices in the poll for me.

I clicked Unified View but that is spread across laptop, pad and phone at any given time. I don't use Tapatalk, because I can still use mobile browsers - even on a phone. And I like a browser over a dedicated app because it lets me see all the web and not just areas that are "mobile ready" or whatever the buzz word is these days.

The poll is a great idea - it may sort out the squeaky wheels from the larger base of users.

Thanks for going to all the trouble to sort this out.
    I somewhat browse similarly but I mostly Consume content on tapatalk. Any short reply (like this one) goes out from tapatalk.

Tapatalk also has one convenient location for subscribed threads AND forums - makes things very Easy, compared to a browser, mobile or pc. Only issue is that threads like this don't show up as polls.

Also the demarcated ' participated' threads. If you don't want to subscribe but still wanna see what happened after your last post -very useful, imho.

But most otherwise, betters the browser for quick, focused consumption. :-)

And thanks for the poll!

I use an iPad mini and Safari, because I hate tapatalk, or my home computer sometimes. I browse new posts for the image sharing threads and early interesting sounding threads, but once the usual idiots get there it's nothing but a time waster, over and over the same crap. As it stands now, this forum caters almost exclusively for the pretenders, like the camera clubs and their stupid competitions. People who actually make pictures are mostly absent. The for sale forum is a crap shoot and always has been, let apug and the digital haters do that work, they deserve it. Shoot some of the unproductive big mouths, the world will be a better place. Off topic, delete away. Fine with me.

I use Tapatalk on an Android phone and on an iPad Mini. I use Firefox on a computer. 80% mobile, 20% desktop. I do simple posts with the mobile app and more complex ones on the computer.

I mostly use the "New Posts" link but also use Unified. I rarely look directly at subforums.

Regards,
    Rob
    My flickr stream