Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bosch Electronic Rangefinder

Drew Wiley

Re: Bosch Electronic Rangefinder

Almost everything decent these days has a Leica mechanism at the heart. If it doesn't, avoid it. I've been fiddling around with some the assortment of Stabila and Bosch meters we sell here, and have also fiddled with Spectra and Lecia labels previously. The least expensive Bosch is cute because it's almost as tiny as a cigarette lighter. But with realistically only fifty feet of range probably wouldn't be ideal for photographic use. And the big buck meters have all kinds of ridiculous built-in programs just like a Smartphone, including a camera. I'll admit I asked for certain of those features in the first place, and they finally listened. But I wouldn't ever use anything more than simple distance myself for photography per se. Just realize that Home Depot's warranty is basically zero is something goes wrong. I put up with that crap all day long. They send people running around to a real warranty dealer like us, and we just tell people in turn to take the damn thing back to where they bought it in the first place, since none of us here get paid by Cheapo Depot. Reconditioned anything never carries a full
    warranty anyway. But I won't say what I can purchase one of these gadgets for, or it would be downright embarrassing. But to put things in perspective, the
    type of unit that cost $700 a decade ago now sells for around $150 and is even better. They just had to finally catch on to get to production volume ramped up.

Drew Wiley

With reference to one previous wisecrack, Leica was indeed building laser-related gear a hundred years ago. You just had to wait another ninety years for the
    actual laser accessory to go with it. They never make a mistake.

Jac -- have you tried it in bright sunlight? I looked at it online, and I'm not clear what the optional target is or how it works. I know there are Leica Disto models that include a video screen for focusing in sunlight. But this Bosch option is a lot cheaper. I'd love to know if it will work for focusing in sunlight. Thanks.

ethan

Quote Originally Posted by epines View Post
    Jac -- have you tried it in bright sunlight? I looked at it online, and I'm not clear what the optional target is or how it works. I know there are Leica Disto models that include a video screen for focusing in sunlight. But this Bosch option is a lot cheaper. I'd love to know if it will work for focusing in sunlight. Thanks.

ethan
    I did finally try in bright sunlight. My target was a white cardboard box. No good. Maybe their target will help. Will report back.

I didn't think focusing scales were that popular on LF equipment. I have interchangeable scales on my 4x5 but didn't think it was very common.

I used a bigger version of this Bosch thingie to make myself distance scales and to nail down the rangefinder on a Technika. It’s very nifty for stuff like that.

Drew Wiley

I have the smallest Bosch meter on a shelf beside me, so I tested it the other day; but it maxed at out 56ft, pretty close to the advertised
    spec I quoted the other day. This is insufficient for noting functional infinity on something like an M7 150mm rangefinder lens, but would be
    plenty adequate for all their shorter lenses. I just mention it because the thing is so tiny and portable compared to the other Bosch distance
    meters, which allow longer accurate measurements. Just too many bells n' whistles on some of them, however. Lecia has an awfully nice
    compact dumbed-down meter without all the silliness, but it sells slightly higher than Bosch.

Drew Wiley

Oh, any of those distance meters are also nice for projecting a tiny bright red beam for focus onto something in night photography too.

Thinking about an accessory rangefinder for a scale focusing folder. Any thoughts on the currently available models or other options? Or just keep guessing? Or vintage optical rangefinder?

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post
    Thinking about an accessory rangefinder for a scale focusing folder. Any thoughts on the currently available models or other options? Or just keep guessing? Or vintage optical rangefinder?
    Vintage units often have issues, like mirrors de-silvering, loose mirrors etc... Or the scale is slightly off... Check out modern units for better luck...

With a little practice, you can learn to scale focus well... The more critical range is between 3 -15 feet (for short to normal lenses), but you can estimate by association pretty well... Your height while (if) you were laying on the ground is a reference (and by 2 or 3X) is most of that desired range... A full 2X4 lumber piece is 8ft (a common focusing setting), and establishing shorter ranges by using parts or your arm, measuring tape, or string... Streets are usually 25-50ft wide, and further goes into the infinity range... Brushing up on hyperfocal distances on your common use lenses help too...

Not impossible to get very good common focusing ranges, and helps in dark places where hard to focus...