Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff or Neardorff? Please help me identify.

Deardorff or Neardorff? Please help me identify.

Hi ya'll. I have what I think is an early model Deardorff V8. Back in college I had a more standard V8 that I used for a while so I am familiar with Deardorffs generally, but I sold that one after graduation. About a year ago I picked up a camera from the B&H Used dept for $300. They didn't know what it was, so it was listed as "O/B Deardorff Copy." Except for a couple spots, this thing is a dead ringer for a genuine V8, so I really think they had it wrong. Nothing about it feels cheap, but some parts do look modified. I was hoping you could help identify it with me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5727.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	136455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5728.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	136456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5729.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	136457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5733.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	136458

1. No bottom plate. I had seen photos of early 'Dorffs without the plate though. It also has little rubber feet.

2. Only label AT ALL is a stenciled in "D.P.C. 0208 FAB." (Deardorff Precision Cameras?)

3. Weird wire linkage between the front swing screws. I want to remove this thing actually because I have no idea what it's for and it gets in the way a lot.

Outside of those, I myself replaced the bellows with the red one. the original black leather bellows that were on it had a ton of holes so this is an improvement (actually the synthetic material is fantastic IMO). As for the wood itself I don't have another Deardorff nearby to compare. It doesn't feel cheap, although I can't identify real mahogany just by touch or sight.

The front swing mechanism in generally is a little bent outta shape. It works fine but there could be rigidity improvements for sure. I was thinking of swapping the whole thing for one of those replacements currently sold on fleabay.

Anyway let me know if you think I have a Deardorff, or some very good copy. Thank you!

Re: Deardorff or Neardorff? Please help me identify.

It is a deardorff.

The code you mentioned is most likely the inventory item of the owner which was a commercial studio/army/police/whoever...

Fitted with front swings, and with a rear standard turntable locking screw (with brace), i am sure this was done because the regular locking screws were not available and those were.

Excellent find!

That's great! I suspected it had to be the real deal. Any thoughts on that wire that connects the front swing screws and is there any reason why I shouldn't snip the thing off?

as i said its most likely a rear screw set, which has the brace across. You can just remove it if it bothers you.

Foamer

You wouldn't think a place like B&H would screw up very often.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The Rajah was an excellent copy of the 'dorff, but from the pictures, yours sure looks like the real deal to me. The 8x10 Rajah had about 33" of bellows draw. Maybe someone who has a Rajah would better know all the differences (btw, I spent the morning taking photographs with my V-8 'dorff---great fun!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You can read up on some of the variations at:

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The Rajah was an excellent copy of the 'dorff, but from the pictures, yours sure looks like the real deal to me. The 8x10 Rajah had about 33" of bellows draw. Maybe someone who has a Rajah would better know all the differences (btw, I spent the morning taking photographs with my V-8 'dorff---great fun!)
    Rajah's have completely different back and base design.
    Prinzdorffs which are the same in design, use different materials.

I don't think it's an Indian copy. I did look into that though.

Any reason I should spring for a metal bed plate? What was their actual application?