Thread: flash sync with large format

flash sync with large format

I'm an outdoor photographer, but am interested in taking some indoor portraiture under studio lighting. My friend is a professional photographer, and he said I could borrow his studio anytime I wanted. I have a Fuji 210/5.6 copal shutter. My question is I'm wondering how do I know what shutter speed will sync with the lights? I've never dealt with studio lighting. So this is all new to me. And also, what kind of sync cord do I need for a copal shutter? Thanks!

Leaf shutters will sync at any speed since the flash is triggered at the full opening. In contrast courtain shutter need to be synqued so that the courtain is fully open before tha back courtain starts closing.

Good luck and have fun....

And in addition to what Jorge said, you'll need an ordinary PC cord with a Copal shutter. The type of connection that the studio lights take will depend on the lights. Ask your friend. He probably can lend you a cable if he is letting you use his studio.

Even though you CAN use every shutter speed and still sync, you may "lose" a little light with slower packs. That is to say that some packs at higher outputs have longer flash durations. 1/125 is usually optimal. If you want a faster shutter to freeze movement, just remember to meter at the higher shutter speeds to see if you are losing juice.

Have fun.

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Brian, I don't know for Fuji Lenses (and modern Copals which you probably have in that Fuji) but be aware that there are 2 sync moments (positions) for firing flash heads - X and M synchro. With modern flash lights you should use X sync!

(my english isn't good enough to explain differences between X an M... for more you should ask "google";-))

Janko

Hopefully your friend's offer will include use of a sync cord and a flash meter. He probably has a Polaroid 545 back, and a nice gesture would be to purchase a box or two of Polaroid 100 ASA color or BW film for your tests - and as a practical gift for the studio's use.

As a word of advice, keep it simple, one light on the subject, a fill card, some light on the background. Try to test on an inatimate object or patient assistant before your real subject shows up, so that you can photograph them "fresh."

Just paid $650 for one day's studio use in NYC - for a dinky little hole! So appreciate what you're doing and have fun.

My friend just helped me tonight to learn about lighting. He was my subject, and I used one light, a reflector and a light on the backdrop. I'm so greatful to be able to use his studio. I'm sure that I'll learn alot from him. Thanks alot everyone!