Thread: Shutter Question

Shutter Question

I have a 90mm 4x5 lens that is mounted on a copal 0 press shutter. I'm thinking of just moving this to a non-press shutter. Is it as simple as buying the new shutter and then just screwing the lens on? Also, the shutter I have now is f/6.8....will a new shutter that is f/5.6 actually give me that or is it based on the lens?

Re: Shutter Question

The shutters are not F stop specific. The proper aperture scales are screwed onto the top and the front of the shutter. A new shutter comes with blank scales that you can have engaved and calibrated for the lens that you have. A used shutter will usually have some set of scales attached to it depending on what lens was on it.

the Copal shutter dimensions should be standardised enough to let you swap over the lens cells without a problem
    but aperture scales are quite specific so you'll need to make new scales for the replacement shutter [or at least work out a correction factor]
    some repair techs would do that for you but you can do it yourself to within a fraction of an f-stop... it's been covered on the forum before

Going from a #0 press shutter to a #0 cock-and-shoot is safe. Going the other way may, depending on the lens, not work. This because the #0 press shutters' diaphragm (#1 press' too) is located closer to the rear of the rear tube than the #0 cock-and-shoot's (#1 cock-and-shoot's too). So rear cells that go deep into the shutter may hit a press shutter's diaphragm. You're safe.

Why do you want to reshutter your lens?