Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Open Source Field Camera Design

Re: DIY Open Source Field Camera Design

So if we had a poll for the first design, what should we include?

Deardorff style
    Phillips style
    Nagaoka/Ikeda style
    Tailboard style

Anything else?

We should also find a volunteer who knows CAD to do drawings. I can draw with a pencil and t-square, but that is it.

Also, someone who can help specify rack and gear sizes. I can order from china, but do not know the teeth per inch I should be looking for.

Can anyone measure the B&J rack and tell me what that measurement is in the european system?

Les

Tim, I would love to do it (and am capable), but there is no real way to get my 2004 CAD to work....it requires XP OS. Last time I tried to activate it, I got no cooperation from Autocad people.
    It appears that if you are not purchasing something...they don't really wish to be bothered.

Les

Paul Hasluck's book Photographic Cameras and Accessories is a good reference book, it's available online as a PDF and also a Reprint from the same PDF. It give details for making various types of camera as well as other items and provides a useful starting point despite being written more than 110 years ago.

Ian

Thanks Ian. That is a great book, and should be very helpful.

Congratulations on defeating Germany! England had a good cup and did much better than expected.

For anyone interested in the book, here is the link: https://archive.org/details/photographiccame00hasluoft

Tim, I do quite a bit of restoration work on early field, tailboard ad SLR cameras. One thing you notice is how much sturdier some cameras are compared to others and also how most US designs moved away from the more traditional British designs, Deardorff being one exception. Japanese and other Indian field cameras were largely derived/copied from the cameras made by Houghton's in their Indian factory.

What I'm saying is sometimes it's better to look back before going foeward.

Ian

I think the Nagaoka/Ikeda design is based on the British field camera model, and to me that seems most attractive. A single extension 8x10 made like the Ikeda would have two feet of bellows, and would make a lightweight field camera. I think a double extension would be like the Deardorff, but I've never seen one in person. I'll read the chapters on cameras this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    I think the Nagaoka/Ikeda design is based on the British field camera model, and to me that seems most attractive. A single extension 8x10 made like the Ikeda would have two feet of bellows, and would make a lightweight field camera. I think a double extension would be like the Deardorff, but I've never seen one in person. I'll read the chapters on cameras this evening.
    Yes that's right and you can see it more clearly with the Japanese field cameras made in the 1930's before WWII, they look almost identical to Indian made cameras. Actually almost all my early British field cameras are triple extension and quite light but the largest is Whole plate. A major difference is up until the end of WWII British cameras still used book-form plate holders something dropped in the US by around 1900.

Of course we also expect more movements these days so the Wista and similar cameras largely sharing the same parts like the Nagoka and Ikeda is a good starting point.

Ian

Just wanted the group to know that I have access to CAD. My job in the Navy is as a draftsman and I even have CAD at home. If I can help I will.

R/
    Dave

I'm in... Yet I have no idea if I have the skills to build a camera. I do have the desire though.

Tim, I have another camera to nominate as a prototype, in addition to the Anba: the Rochester King 8x10. Mine has become my primary 8x10 camera b/c of its light weight and features. 5lbs, front rise/fall, forward & backward tilt; rear tilt & swing. 24in. extension. The back slides forward to accomodate short, wide lenses. They are pretty rare, so a template for DIY and a source for hardware would be great resources.

I'm in the process of fabricating an accessory so it can handle 24" and longer lenses.

I'll post pics of both models later tonight or tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails king camera description 1899.jpg