Thread: Arca Swiss exact sizes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Angry Arca Swiss exact sizes

Now here's an interesting one. I'm in the process of making a leather bellows for an old arca swiss f-line 5x7. Obviously, sizes of he bellows frames are quite critical. Initially, I had envisioned hacking an existing frame for the front and a new one for the rear from aluminium sheet. However, I figured that once I would be cutting sheet anyway, I may as well also cut a front frame. In comes the surprise. Running a quick measure with my rusty callipers, the following come up.

Rear 5x7 bellows frame:
    thickess 2.5mm
    outer 215mm
    inner 187mm
    (frame 14mm wide)
    corners rounded at 90 degrees 8mm

Lens plate measured for front frame:
    thickness 1mm
    outer 110mm
    corners rounded at 90 degrees 5mm

Well, so far so good, no surprise here... Then I traced these dimensions on paper so I could trace them onto the respective aluminium sheets. Of course I do the outside cuts on my rotatrim. But then...

The carefully traced paper dummy of the 110mm lens board is up first. I cut it, all good. However, on the rotatrim scale that is meant to be accurate...

110mm lensboard outer 110mm (?!). I of course put a real board on it and sure enough, I'm 2mm short of 110mm on that too. I find this rather hard to believe as everything arca always seems so meticulously and flawlessly executed. To solve this conundrum, I would be much obliged if someone more knowledgable than myself could give me te exact measures of:

The 110mm lens board (which I will assume is 110mm except my rotatrim thinks otherwise)
    The exact dimensions of a 5x7 bellows frame (f-line)

Thanks a million for this and have a great day!

Re: Arca Swiss exact sizes

check your rotatrim scale. Mine is NOT accurate.
    Arca ain't perfect, but they're pretty darn close

Yes, so it seems, the 110 in the post was of course 108mm?!. I am a little puzzled now. I'm sure arca, like anyone else works with an acceptable error margin. However, I doubt all boards are 2mm off their specification. If only I had kept the ruler that I used in high school decades ago... Now there's no testing. I'll just go with the calliper measurement, disappointed in the rotatrim though. It's a pro model and not cheap (particularly in Europe). It cuts film well though.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

About a decade ago, I made a half-way thing....combining an old 215mm 5x7 rear standard-frame with an F-line 171mm front standard. So, if bellows sourcing is your issue, you can modify an old-type bellows quite easily to fit the newer frames.

An aside: If you have any info on getting good bellows: My leather w/a bellows are getting a little bit old now and I am interested in finding a new alternative for either camera series. Thanks.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."