Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Old German LF Lenses (pre-1945)

Re: Old German LF Lenses (pre-1945)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Eh? Wot? All of my #1 shutters (Compur, Copal, Prontor Press) have front tubes threaded M40x0.75, rear tubes threaded M36x0.75. What are you looking at?
    Dan,

he's right:
    dial set Compurs #1: front and rear cell M36 x 0.5
    dial set Compurs #2: front and rear cell M41 x 0.5(?) or M50 x ??

Your specs are right for the later rim set Compurs and modern shutters.

Xipho,

I'm confused about what's your goal. Do you look for an excellent lens for close-up? Do you look for an old folder coming with a lens suitable for close-up? Do you look for old lenses because of their specific "look" to be used for close-up? Or do you just want to collect lenses maybe usable for close-up? The ansers to these questions may be very different.

Peter
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Thanks, Peter.

so the dial set compur give the opportunity to reverse the lens... So I am looking at my lenses (some of them I have as collector items like the "Sonnar" lens) and it is useful, if you have some 135 with different construction, which one is the best for 1:1 at the end, and if it gives an advantage to reverse it.

My stardard "Linhof" Xenar 3.5/105 semms to give very good macros 1:1, so the (quite similar, also xenar, but older) Sonnar. The reversed sonnar gave inferior quality in a try. As the isconar performed very good (at infinity) I will give it a try at 1:1 normal and reversed.

I dont want to use the Technika as a primary macro cam, it is for landscape/architecture because of the movemwnts. And it gives me the possibility to use my old lenses on a sturdier and better built camera than the original folders of the 20s.
    My Contessa Nettel Sonnar camera is fully working, even with a linhof ground glass, but the lens stand is quite wobbly and the exchange of the ground glass back to the rollex back is inconvenient.

I am collector that also like to use old lenses/cameras if they are good. I like to go out with the linhof, or the Nikon F, or the Zenza Bronica.
    Why shouldnt I use fine older lenses like a heliar when iit is so convenient with the technika....
    And the old 135s and the 150 give my different focal lenghts to the original 65 and 105 of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    so the dial set compur give the opportunity to reverse the lens...
    Here I use some old 135mm lenses like Xenar, Tessar, Eurynar...
    some have a broken shutter, and unfortunately, depending on the lens construction, each of my Compur is different, so I can't interchange nor reversing the shutters/lenses.
    In some cases either the barrels of the Compur are longer , compared with another Compur, or the two barrels of the Compur are different in length.

As hoods or filter holders, I bought some of this old "pull over" holders with clambs, and I planned to build a solid pull over adapter with a useful thread.

Ritchie

K5HMacro capability of a old CN Sonnar (Xenar) = 4 lens tessar type by xipho68, auf Flickr

That is what the Sonnar 4,5/135 (Xenar 135) can do, Macro, 1:1,3 , and this is a 1x1 cm part of the negative, F11

K5HA5171Voigtländer Heliar - Macro Test Old Lenses-sonnar-11-bearb by xipho68, auf Flickr

But the Meyer Helioplan DA is Close in that test:

Voigtländer Heliar - Macro Test Old Lenses by xipho68, auf Flickr

And this is what the Schneider Iscaonar 4,5/135 Doppelanastigmat (4 lenses, 4 Groups) can do: F9

Old lens performance by xipho68, auf Flickr

and the clock, 3mm on the 6x9 Picture, scanned 1:1 with DSLR/Macro Lens/16MP

Testfoto Objektiv Schneider Isconar 4,5/135, 1933 by xipho68, auf Flickr

still not so easy with the Compur cell diameters...

I just got a nice Snchro Compur Ring Shutter 1951/52 Size 0 that also has two identical cell diameters...

It came with a Minty Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar T coated 3.5/105 made 1949 in GDR.

But my "Linhof" synchro compur Size O 1954 has the larger front diameter, also a 1954 Scynchro Compur Size 1...

I also belive that the prewar Ring Compur are still symmtrical...

The pre-WWII rimset Compur Compur Radid and post war Compur #0's are same thread front & rear. M29.5 x0.5. My Linhof Compur #1 is a slightly dfferent shutter to the usual Compur's of the time but the same threads as a modern Copal and other pre and post WWII Compur #1's (I have quite a few), M40 x0.75 front & M36 x0.75 rear

The specific Linhof Synchro_Comur shutters aren't marked with a size and it's possible you have a #1 with a reduction sleeve in the rear, the way these shutters are made Copur couldn't make a #0 shutter with a larger front thread. I've Dialset Compurs with sleeves - one sleeved at the front, and quite a few sleeved #0 Pronto/Pronto etc shutters, and also Alphax shutters where I had to remove rear sleeves.

Ian

sorry, my mistake. my Linhof snchro Compur 0 (Xenar 105) is alsy symmetrical, only the opening in the front plate is bigger because the front part of the lens has a larger diameter than its mount.

So I can easily interchange the Tessar and the Xenar 3./105 in the mount, only the linhof sunshade only fits the Xenar.
    For practical reasons both lenses should perform very similar. Some they the Tronnier recalculated Xenars might be a little bit superior to the original Tessar. The 1949 Tessar T from Jena is a prewar calculation I think...

Are there any unsymmtrical compur 0 shutters later?

my No 1 shutters 1920s and 1950s are both 40/36

I measured my shutters and my Size 0 and 1 are according to all standard measures.

But I have a shutter, Rim Dial 1933 Compur for Voigtländer, with a 4.5/105 Heliar.

This has some strange sizes, shutter diameter is normal 58 like a size 0, but the mount flange thread is 29, (32 with compur 0) between sizes 00 and 0. Thats why I thougt it would be a 00 size, but it is too large.
    Lens mount front and back is about 28mm

Any idea why this is such a strange size...? It is shutter and lens that you see above in the macro picture...