Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old German LF Lenses (pre-1945)

Re: Old German LF Lenses (pre-1945)

You'll have to ask the lenses. A priori a dialyte type is more likely to be good closeup than a tessar type.

There are, though, some tessar types optimized for 1:1, e.g., CZJ's Apo-Tessars. Apo-Planars, too. Perfectly symmetrical (quick test: do the two cells have the same focal length?) double anastigmats should be good at 1:1 too.

But to be sure you'll have to ask the lenses, not people here.

I will ask then, just wanted to know which type to ask first....

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    wich type of the old lenses has a chance to be a good 1:1 macro lens for LF?
    I have had not so good experiences with 1:1 and old lenses.
    So I took an Schneider Componon S in a Copal, this works great.

For normal ratio, I love my Xenars, the 135mm and the 210mm, too.

A surprising lens is my Rodenstock Eurynar.

Yes, I love my old lenses,
    Ritchie

Kodak sold their 203mm f7.7 Ektar and the older uncoated Anastigmat version of the same lens for use from Infinity to 1:1 and marked the magnification on the base rails of their Half plate medical camera (in the UK).

So a good dialyte is one option.

Ian

Does anyone know for sure what type a "Dominar-Anastigmat" is? should be from Ica, but was sold also later with Zeiss Ikon Folders like the Maximar. Is it a cooke or a tessar type ore something different?
    Could not find valid information, and maybe could get a 165mm ....

btw, my first post was wrong, the 105 lenses I have are compur 0, and the 135 Compur 1...

Looks like the Dominar is a Tessar-type:

Jonathan

fantastic! thank you for the infos and pictures!

Um, Harald, you should learn how to count reflections from a lens' elements. Remove a cell from the barrel or shutter to avoid confusing reflections from one end with those from the other. Then illuminate with a bright point source and count. An air-glass interface will give a strong reflection, a glass-cement-glass interface will give a weak reflection that may be hard to see.

Your homework assignment is (a) decide how many strong and weak reflections you should see from each cell of the lens types shown in post 16 in this thread and (b) look at your lenses, count reflections, and decide which of the types above each is.

Repeat the exercise for 6/4 double Gauss and plasmat types when you have a lens that might be one of either in hand.

usually i open the lenses anyway for cleaning. Bur I dont have the Dominar, it was just an ebay offer...

But, as it is drawn, it is a bit different to a classic tessar, as lens 3 is not flat towards the shutter, but konkav.
    Classic tessars have a typical look when you have woth parts, back of the frontside is strongly konkav, the front of the back group is quite flat...

today, the heliar came, very good in a nice compur Ring shutter, also voigtländer labeled.It came with a near mint 6x9 roll film camera...

had some lens tests this weekend.

Compared the Steinheil Unofokal 4.5/135, the Schneider Isconar 4.5/135, Meyer Helioplan 4.5/135, CN Sonner (Xenar) 4.5/135 and the Heliar 3.5/105 to the postwar coated Xenar 3.5/105 (plazs the 4.5/105 Heliar) with architecture.

the Isconar (a dialyte) performed superb, very sharp even wide open, really comparable to the postwar coated Xenar, only a little less contrast for sure.
    Also the Sonnar (prewar Xenar) was very good, also at 1:1. I tried a reverse use of the Sonnar for 1:1 but this is much worse... No use.
    With teh good results of the Isconar, I will try this for macro work too, as it is symmetric.
    The Meyer Helioplan is not so good as my Isconar (it is also a uncemented dialyte) It is good but less sharpness and contrast than the isconar, so this will be my lens for use...

The Unofokal was horrible, lots of flared, even on the ground glass view. But after examination i have seen that it is not clean inside, so it has to be cleaned and reevaluated!

Until now I only looked at the negatives (sunny weather now prevents me from scanning...) but I will deliver some pictures her soon...