Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital hate overmoderating?

Re: Digital hate overmoderating?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    This is correct.
    And why can you discuss on this forum a small bubble level on your LF camera but not a much bigger roll film holder on the same LF camera?

There is a lot of stuff discussed here that is smaller than 4x5.

- Digital backs and roll film holders as discussed
    - discussion of 3.25 x 4.25 film (FP-100C etc.)
    - people posting their medium- and small-format images, (both within the "everything else" image sharing forum and outside of it)
    - discussion of 35mm, MF, 2x3 sheet film, etc. in many threads
    - discussion of digital adapters (sliding backs, Cambo stuff, etc.)
    - discussion of digital lenses like the Schneider digitars, etc. that don't cover 4x5
    - discussions in the "On Photography" forum about photographers that don't use large format, etc.
    - people posting non-LF gear in the for sale forum
    - discussions of lighting gear designed for 35mm use
    - discussions of using scanners for other than scanning 4x5 or larger film
    - et cetera ad nauseum

It's everywhere.

Hope you are willing to moderate ALL that stuff, and move ALL of it to the Lounge, including everything in the "everything else" image sharing forum.

Otherwise, you're cherry-picking and playing favorites. Either apply the rules fairly, or stop making such black and white rules.
    -Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Is a Nikon F with a Speed Magny back for 4x5 Polaroid sheet film a suitable topic for this site?
    The film area is large enough but the image area is very small, so arguably this is an ambiguous case. If a wave of Speed Magny discussions were to start flooding the Forum we might have to think about revising the guidelines to address this. But in general, we prefer to keep the guidelines as simple as we reasonably can, and not to complicate them with rules about rare special cases unless those are causing us problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I must have missed that. So a thread about using MF roll film in a roll film holder on a 4x5 camera needs to go int he lounge now too?
    That is correct, this must now be discussed in the lounge. And any discussions of 6X9 cm technical cameras must also be in the lounge. Same for the use of 3X4" scanning backs.

All of this breaks with the entire history of the LF forum, and has served, in my opinion, to encourage divisions of analog versus digital, as would have been predicted as a logical outcome of the decision of the moderators.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    There is a lot of stuff discussed here that is smaller than 4x5.

- Digital backs and roll film holders as discussed
    - discussion of 3.25 x 4.25 film (FP-100C etc.)
    - people posting their medium- and small-format images, (both within the "everything else" image sharing forum and outside of it)
    - discussion of 35mm, MF, 2x3 sheet film, etc. in many threads
    - discussion of digital adapters (sliding backs, Cambo stuff, etc.)
    - discussion of digital lenses like the Schneider digitars, etc. that don't cover 4x5
    - discussions in the "On Photography" forum about photographers that don't use large format, etc.
    - people posting non-LF gear in the for sale forum
    - discussions of lighting gear designed for 35mm use
    - discussions of using scanners for other than scanning 4x5 or larger film
    - et cetera ad nauseum

It's everywhere.

Hope you are willing to moderate ALL that stuff, and move ALL of it to the Lounge, including everything in the "everything else" image sharing forum.

Otherwise, you're cherry-picking and playing favorites. Either apply the rules fairly, or stop making such black and white rules.
    Relative to what may look like "cherry-picking", the applicable rule is simple, and clearly stated:

Prior threads that no longer fit this definition will be moved to the appropriate forum only if new postings are made within them.

In fact, it has not been especially difficult for us to keep up on that basis. That doesn't mean we catch everything - we're only human, and there will always be some things that slip through on a board this size - but we do our best to be consistent.

Looking through your list, I should add: smaller format stuff is allowed as a matter of policy in the FS/WTB section which, like the Lounge, is considered peripheral to the main purpose of the Forum. If the FS/WTB were to become flooded with small format items in such a way as to be causing us problems, either within that section or spilling over into the main sections, we would reconsider that. But so far it seems to be working OK, and we know many members find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    All of this breaks with the entire history of the LF forum, and has served, in my opinion, to encourage divisions of analog versus digital, as would have been predicted as a logical outcome of the decision of the moderators.

Sandy
    I'm still confused. And why can you discuss on this forum a small bubble level on your LF camera but not a much bigger roll film holder on the same LF camera?
    One who wants to understand.

Tim Sandstrom

The moderators volunteer their time and get monday-morning-quarterback comments about their choices. I think they deserve more appreciation. Walk a mile in their shoes. Words have meaning, and this forus explores what "large format" means. As if everyone could agree on what that is, and of course none of this exists in a vacuum, but they walk a a tough line to follow, trying to accomodate without the inevitable drift that comes from so many voices. Give 'em a break, or maybe volunteer for the job yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    In fact, it has not been especially difficult for us to keep up on that basis. That doesn't mean we catch everything - we're only human, and there will always be some things that slip through on a board this size - but we do our best to be consistent.
    Good for you. If you do a search for "6x7 roll film backs" you get 89 threads where they are discussed. Many threads even have this in their title. They're not in the Lounge though. Hopefully it will not be especially difficult to move them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    If I make a custom 8x10 back to mount on my Mamiya TLR, is it large format or medium format. I mean, this is confusing. The film is large, but the camera is medium. That's sort of the same if the film is medium and the camera is large.

Isn't it?
    Similar situation as with the Speed Magny. If posts on this became a real problem, we'd come up with a policy to address it. Unless and until that happens, it's not worth complicating the guidelines further over it.

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    Good for you. If you do a search for "6x7 roll film backs" you get 89 threads where they are discussed. Many threads even have this in their title. They're not in the Lounge though. Hopefully it will not be especially difficult to move them there.
    As I posted a few moments ago, the rule that was adopted was that old threads that do not meet the size criterion will be moved if new posts are made within them. This is what we have been doing.