Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Clear spots on film

  1. #1

    Clear spots on film

    I processed a few sheets this weekend and all seem to have clear spots on them which print as black spots.

    Could this be chemistry contamination? Bad fixer?

    I used the same process as always and never had this issue.

    I'm going to begin by scrubbing everything down with borax to make sure everything is 100% clean to start with.

    I used tap water but that's never been a problem beforehand.

  2. #2
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,410

    Re: Clear spots on film

    Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    I processed a few sheets this weekend and all seem to have clear spots on them which print as black spots.
    Bubbles or dirt/dust.

  3. #3

    Re: Clear spots on film

    I thought that too. However I found it odd that all 6 sheets displayed the same spots. I'm extremely nit picky about loading,cleaning, and protecting the carriers.

    Air bubbles seem more feasible.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Bow, NH
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: Clear spots on film

    A picture is worth 1,000 guesses. A scanned sample of a neg with the spots could help distinguish between spots caused by dust or dirt versus bubbles or chemical contamination.

  5. #5

    Re: Clear spots on film

    Sadly I don't own a scanner yet.

  6. #6
    Old School Wayne
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: Clear spots on film

    Don't be sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    Sadly I don't own a scanner yet.

  7. #7

    Re: Clear spots on film

    It could be do to using an acid stop? In any event you can eliminate the dark spots on the print by treating the clear spots on the negative with crocein scarlett.

    Thomas

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    153

    Re: Clear spots on film

    I had a similar problem recently. It seems that it was because of old (contaminated?) developer (Exactol-Lux). Tiny clear spots all over the film. It only happened with HP-5 in 120 size though. HP-5 sheet or 35mm were OK, as were other emulsions. Fresh developer fixed it.
    I hope this helps.
    Chuck

  9. #9

    Re: Clear spots on film

    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    It could be do to using an acid stop? In any event you can eliminate the dark spots on the print by treating the clear spots on the negative with crocein scarlett.

    Thomas
    I just stop in water, I use an alkaline fixer PF TF4.

    Thanks for the crocein scarlett tip, that's one thing I love about this forum; someone always has a solution/saving grace/ ace in the sleeve.

  10. #10

    Re: Clear spots on film

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck461 View Post
    I had a similar problem recently. It seems that it was because of old (contaminated?) developer (Exactol-Lux). Tiny clear spots all over the film. It only happened with HP-5 in 120 size though. HP-5 sheet or 35mm were OK, as were other emulsions. Fresh developer fixed it.
    I hope this helps.
    Chuck
    I'm using PF liquid pyrocat and have individual syringes for each solution.

Similar Threads

  1. new Epson V700 and black spots - not dust spots
    By beichh4046 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2012, 09:44
  2. Black spots, white spots
    By jonathan_lipkin in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Aug-2010, 08:35
  3. 4x5 film spots?
    By joeyrsmith in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 6-Sep-2009, 20:54
  4. Clear spots in Tri-x Emulsion
    By brian steinberger in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2005, 21:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •