Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty good article on the seemingly old film vs digital discussion

Re: Pretty good article on the seemingly old film vs digital discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    designed to be contact printed or enlarged optically. Why go backwards in perceived quality by going digital part way through.
    In my opinion, darkroom prints can't come close to the quality of an inkjet print. The other option I like very much is alt process... I'm almost up and running... So, for me the question would be -- why would I make a lesser print by going in the darkroom?

How many times are we going to go around and around with this?
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Drew Wiley

You keep bringing it up, Lenny. Blame yourself if you get flak. You deserve it for making a ridiculous comment like that. It's like saying, "Great chefs only cook
    with pork and never with beef". But thank you for the disclaimer, "in my opinion". That might keep you from getting lynched.

In my opinion the method, if not the act, of comparison is totally wrong. It's not about what method or technique is the "best". It's about individual choice for whatever reason.

The most satisfying imagery that I've created in the last 10 years came from a mixture of paper neg, home made wooden box cameras and magnifying glass lenses. I assume many others wouldn't bother but I did and I enjoy the working methods involved.

How many times is this question going to go around? I'd suggest as many times as necessary until each of us is comfortable enough to say, or at least feel, '... this is what I do, I don't have to explain or justify my work'.

I value process as much or more than product.

Art and Life is often a Dance, even if we are not dancers.

Obviously our Dance varies.

I am Don Quixote.
    Tin Can

Old School Wayne

+ 1001

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I value process as much or more than product.

Wow Lenny

then you have never seen a great silver gelatin print.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    In my opinion, darkroom prints can't come close to the quality of an inkjet print. The other option I like very much is alt process... I'm almost up and running... So, for me the question would be -- why would I make a lesser print by going in the darkroom?

How many times are we going to go around and around with this?

Bob, Trust me, Lenny has seen as many great silver images as anyone here. That is not the issue. He is expressing his opinion, his preference.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk - the statement makes me wonder?

but yes everyone is titled to their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Bob, Trust me, Lenny has seen as many great silver images as anyone here. That is not the issue. He is expressing his opinion, his preference.

I don't wonder. Lenny is an old world craftsman with modern tools.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Random Pixel Generator

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I don't wonder. Lenny is an old world craftsman with modern tools.
    Very true... I was hoping he would expound on what alt process he likes.

Admittedly I have no experience with creating a print in the wet darkroom, if you don't count the crappy little black and white print that I made in our bathroom with a Sears home film developing kit when I was 6 or 7 years old. I made the image with a Brownie Hawkeye and I have no doubt that it was amazing. Sure wish I knew where it is. Anyway, the point I was going to make before I ricocheted off into the past is that I can see why he prefers the digital print process. There is almost total control over the result and once you get into the groove of making digital prints it can be a one shot process. Can be I've got a stack of duds that need to be trashed that proves that more often than not it isn't.

On the other hand, I was at a printing workshop in Maine in July of last year. It was put on by John Paul Caponigro. While there I saw their father / son exhibit. It was interesting to see and hear the digital son and analog father speak. I finally got to see Paul Caponigro's "galaxy apple" print. And I enjoyed meeting with and talking to him. That was a huge plus for the trip.

During the workshop we touched on alt processes and mimicking them in Photoshop (did I hear a gasp from the collective?). I mentioned that I have a LR preset for creating the look of a platinum palladium print but since I had never seen a platinum palladium print I wasn't sure what the result should look like. BTW- I feel like this is fairly common in modern photography. Anyway, JP moved the entire class upstairs, into the gallery, and pulled 4 platinum prints from his collection. One from his dad, one from Ansel Adams, and the other two slip my mind (they were noted photographers, I just have a crappy memory). All four prints looked different, which was the point. Create the look that you like not your perception of what it should look like. One thing I've discovered in my short time exhibiting and entering contests is that there is no accounting for peoples taste. Especially the "artistic" people.

I want to learn the analog processes for the same reason that I rebuild old radios and tv's from the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. I enjoy it (more radio, less tv). I enjoy the process. I enjoy the smells and textures. It doesn't mean that I don't embrace technology. I absolutely do. But I also enjoy the glow of a vacuum tube.

Comparatively speaking, I enjoy the organic look of a wet print. After all, it's all photography isn't it?