Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens recommendation: Indoor, wide

Lens recommendation: Indoor, wide

Greetings LFPF,

I currently shoot on a Chamonix 45N-2 with a Fujinon 150mm 5.6 lens. I would like to shoot indoors with a field of view similar to Lise Sarfarti's She series.

Example 1
    Example 2
    Example 3

Given the examples and their field of view, can you recommend a lens that might be good to try? Do you think a 90mm or a 105mm would be better suited for this?

I have been looking at the Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6, Fujinon 105mm f/5.6 (image circle I worry might be too small and thus increase the chance of less sharpeness at egdges/possible vignetting if I don't catch it on the ground glass), Fujinon 105mm f/8 (I worry f/8 might be too dark indoors.) Does anything else come to mind?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6, but then wasn't sure if that would be a skosh too wide.

Thank you!

Re: Lens recommendation: Indoor, wide

90mm is the standard wide-angle focal length for 4x5. You might as well start there. I'm not familiar with your camera, but the f/5.6 and f/4.5 lenses are big and heavy, and might not be the best choice. An example- I've used a 90/8 Nikkor-SW successfully for many years. Best of luck!

I use a Fuji 125 5.6 and it renders like this

Rachel Foister by Toby Key, on Flickr

Gemiliana by Toby Key, on Flickr

Outside pics obviously but you get the idea.

Its very difficult to nail down what was used with those examples because lenses can be made to look longer or wider depending on the way the shot is set up.

I would be very careful of 105mm lenses as most of them are designed for 6x9cm cameras and have small image circles, so 90mm would make most sense. It would also fit in well with your existing 150mm whereas a 125mm is a bit too close.
    Last edited by Tobias Key; 27-Aug-2021 at 10:35. Reason: spelling

it's always easier to crop a too wide shot than to add to the edges of a too narrow shot. :P

If you have a phone or tablet, consider using Artist's Viewfinder or one of its competing apps to help make a decision. I found that app very helpful in deciding to purchase a Rodenstock Grandagon-N f/4.5 75mm a couple of weeks ago.

There's discussion about Artist's Viewfinder in this current thread, and as mentioned there are competing apps, some less expensive: What Scouting/Planning Apps Are You Using in 2021?

I second Mark's recommendation: Get a 90mm and get one of the f/8 models. The f/5.6 ones are big, heavy and might be a bit much for the Chamonix 45-N. I have both the SA Schneider 90mm f/8 and the Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 and they both work well on wooden folders (I have recessed boards for them, which you may not need with the Chamonix). The Nikkor has a larger image circle, comparable to the f/5.6 versions, and I use it when I need coverage, e.g., for interiors and architectural work.

A 90mm is "standard" for that focal-length range for good reason. It has lots of coverage, isn't too large, renders nicely without disturbing distortions at the edge, and is relatively economical; a real sweet spot in the wide-angle lens design.

Yes, the f/8 lenses are a bit darker, but that doesn't present a problem if you use a good dark cloth and let your eyes adjust a bit when in dimmer situations. Plus, your wallet will thank you for only having to buy 67mm filters

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I second Mark's recommendation: Get a 90mm and get one of the f/8 models. The f/5.6 ones are big, heavy and might be a bit much for the Chamonix 45-N. I have both the SA Schneider 90mm f/8 and the Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 and they both work well on wooden folders (I have recessed boards for them, which you may not need with the Chamonix). The Nikkor has a larger image circle, comparable to the f/5.6 versions, and I use it when I need coverage, e.g., for interiors and architectural work.

A 90mm is "standard" for that focal-length range for good reason. It has lots of coverage, isn't too large, renders nicely without disturbing distortions at the edge, and is relatively economical; a real sweet spot in the wide-angle lens design.

Yes, the f/8 lenses are a bit darker, but that doesn't present a problem if you use a good dark cloth and let your eyes adjust a bit when in dimmer situations. Plus, your wallet will thank you for only having to buy 67mm filters

Best,

Doremus
    Or compromise speed with the 90mm 6.8 Grandagon and gain a half stop of brightness with absolutely no loss in quality, might even gain performance over those 8.0 90mm lenses.

Drew Wiley

I never liked shooting cramped interiors like kitchens or bathrooms, so specialized in architectural exteriors unless the same client demanded it otherwise, and that was usually with reference to a more sizable interior space. So a 90 was the widest lens I ever used. For general shooting, the widest I need is a 125 for 4x5, and 240 for 8x10. I don't like the stretched toward the corners or distorted effect inherent to super-wide lenses.

Foamer

I use a Nikon 90mm f4.5 on my Chamonix 045n. I photo interiors of abandoned houses. Ioften use a Nikon 75mm too.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Hello,

When I look at your examples, I can see that those images were made with a wide angle (even if those images do not have the 4x5 ratio…)

So in LF common angles are between 72 & 80 degrees for 150ish lenses.

Wide angles do have a coverage angle of 100-105 degrees.

You can find a Schneider Super Angulon 90 mm, Super Symmar 80 XL or Rodenstock Grandagon in that range.

J