Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicating a color slide to BW neg

Duplicating a color slide to BW neg

I've been spending way too much time in the darkroom, and I was wondering if
    anyone has tried to duplicate a color slide on currently available film ?

Re: Duplicating a color slide to BW neg

BITD at Kodak, we used Tmax 100. Use a green filter, as all the resolution is in the green layer.

Do you have to develop the neg to any higher contrast than usual to get the optimum result?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    Do you have to develop the neg to any higher contrast than usual to get the optimum result?
    No, a slide is contrasty enough, so a normal straight (bracketed) shot will usually do...

Steve K

In the past I have put the slide in an enlarger and a film holder with b&w film on the baseboard. Prop up on edge a little to make the film holder level. I use 'white' enlarger light and panchromatic B&W film.

Smile Re: Duplicating a color slide to BW neg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    BITD at Kodak, we used Tmax 100. Use a green filter, as all the resolution is in the green layer.
    BITD ?

Interesting, I was thinking along the lines of using filters to keep the exposures times down
    but never thought of using them for resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    No, a slide is contrasty enough, so a normal straight (bracketed) shot will usually do...

Steve K
    You lost me there with 'bracketing' in a darkroom setting.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In the past I have put the slide in an enlarger and a film holder with b&w film on the baseboard. Prop up on edge a little to make the film holder level. I use 'white' enlarger light and panchromatic B&W film.
    For my initial test I did the same thing, but instead of a film holder I used the raised edges of my enlarging
    easel to locate the film and a sheet of glass to hold the film flat.
    Grossly over exposed

Oh, Jim...
    I usually "downshoot" a chrome by copying with a camera, with the chrome on the lightsource, or mounting a camera on the enlarger column with an arm, (aiming up) and letting the enlarger lens project onto the film (into the camera) to "shoot" smaller format negs... (I get to use a TTL meter that way!!!) I'll bracket then...

And I keep an old, leaf shutter (from my MP-4 rig) with adapters for the enlarger lenses in the lab, so I can time short exposure process stuff... (or keep the enlarger lens closed while I'm letting a cold light head warm up, or to "cook" problem negs in glassless carriers (so they "pop" properly...)) So some step test exposures there, too... Handy!!!

Steve K

Bitd= back in the day.
    Bracketing? That's where you make multiple exposures using different settings to guestimate proper exposure rather than developing one sheet only to realize your exposure was off.

Hi Jim

One method that is being done by many workers is to have a LVT negative made. This is not new technology in fact it has found a resurgence. Specifically for digital only capture workers who then want to
    make a silver gelatin print, or cibachrome, from 4 x5 or 8x10 film and have it printed on paper of choice via enlarger. ( this allows them to print silver with their current digital capture methods.)

This practice is very popular by Salgado right now.. I have seen many projects done this way, I prefer the method I describe below as it is a contact print and I believe sharper final product.

For your purposes you could scan the neg and the BW coversion and make a neg to any contrast and density you require for your darkroom. There are people here that can make this neg here and may chime in .

I am making very large silver negatives for many end processes, the largest neg I have made was 24 x36 inch for a series of lith prints we made on Ilford Warmtone. Once again we are scaning the original
    negative (colour or black and white) and via PS and my image recorder (Lambda 76) enlarged tailor made negs are produced. - I am not offering this service commercially but I do it for my self and a few clients
    who I work with on large shows. The price per single unit is too outrageous to offer to clients , but when spread over a 30 print show it becomes affordable(somewhat).

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    And I keep an old, leaf shutter (from my MP-4 rig) with adapters for the enlarger lenses in the lab, so I can time short exposure process stuff...
    LOL, while collecting hardware for my darkroom I got a lens board for an Elwood that had a Ilex shutter, I remember thinking
    that it must have been used as a timer for exposing, I stored that tidbit in the recesses of my brain, along with the shutter, when
    I decided that I wanted to do a enlargement of a slide, exposure came up as a problem, your mention of a leaf shutter
    brought it back.

I guess Fixer fumes can affect memory !

Vinny, Thanks for the BITD definiton. I do bracketing with 35mm and 120, but with sheet film not $o much

Bob, Thanks for the info on LVT negatives, I'm more interested in experimenting with
    non digital methods of making a neg from slide. It makes it much harder since from what I've gleaned
    off the Intarweb, Tech Pan was the recommended film to use, but that's history now.
    Good info on LVT negs nonetheless.