Thread: Housing for externally mounted Packard shutter

Housing for externally mounted Packard shutter

I'm not sure how others do these, but I thought I'd show how I did mine. Here is a picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150617_170307_resized.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	135581

I cut a piece of masonite, glued small strips of wood around the edge, and then one slightly thinner and wider to form a lip on the bottom, then screwed two pieces of scrap aluminium on top to hold the shutter in (this makes it easy to shift the shutter to other housings for other lenses).

As you can see, this shutter also has a homemade flash sync. Its super easy to make: just a small block hot glued to the shutter to hold a stripped wire in position so that when the comes up it hits the wire. The other wire is tied to a mounting hole of the shutter (It was on the screw when the shutter was mounted in camera). The other end is just a connector from a sync cord. When the piston hits the wire the circuit is completed through the body of the shutter. Looks ugly, but its functional.

For the back I cut a hole the same size as the inside rim of the lens. Then I cut some long strips from a file folder (the orange thing in the picture below is a leftover scrap piece), then I wrapped the lens in plastic wrap, and started wrapping and glueing strips around the end of the lens. I think I went round 4 or 5 times, holding the piece in place with a rubber band while I glued up the next. When I thought I had enough I let it sit for an hour, then took it off and glued it on the masonite. Here is a picture of the back:

Name:	20150617_170401_resized.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	135582

I sprayed on a bit o paint and called it done. Don't know if this is th best way, but it worked for me.

Tim

Re: Housing for externally mounted Packard shutter

Kooll!!!!!!

That will work fine!!!!

I'm trying to find some Packard shutters I have to make an interchangable filter/Packard mount cheeep 'enof to mount on different lenses...

I'm thinking about cutting some wood discs that will fit on the front lens barrel OD (with my router with the Jasper circle cutting attachment), cutting up a bunch of those plastic sheet magnets, (like on your fridge...) and attaching to the filter holder or Packard sheet magnets and the discs, so it would be easy to pop-a-Packard or filter on and off any of the lenses... Might work...

Or maybe Velcro for the Packard??? Whatever works!!!

Steve K

I mounted my Packard inside the front standard of my 8X10 camera - Folmer & Shwing. Since mine does not have a tapered bellows, same dimensions front to rear, there was plenty of room. And I have 6-8 lenses but only one has a shutter, so I didn't want to have to make a custom mount for the Packard shutter for each lens. My Packard is held in place by two stick-on magnets, top and bottom, and have two register pins that fit into small holes I drilled into the back of the front standard, just to make sure the shutter stays in place. Tried Velcro but it was just to hard to remove the Packard when I wanted to use my shuttered lens.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434580228726.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	135601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434580239353.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	135602

It's a modified Graflex Speed 4x5 bady before a Dallmeyer 3A.
    Just for reference~
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Steve, I had originally thought to make a frame for the packard and fit the masonite like a lensboard to the back of the frame. That way you could just make a masonite mount for each lens you wanted to use. In the end I used this method as I had the strips in the scrap pile, and at the moment this is the only lens I wanted to mount the packard on (I have a Dallmeyer 3b that needs a shutter but is too big for this packard).

Randy, I had my packard mounted in my studio camera, but wanted to be able to use the lenses on other cameras (my 5x7).

funkadelic

I have a shutter lens combo that I got from a forum member some time ago that sent it off to S.K. Grimes for a solution. Think of a flange ring to filter thread adapter, where the flange (very thin) was secured to the Packard shutter so the whole shutter screws on to the lens like a filter. Very nice work. No flash though. I like Tim's flash sync mod above. I'm considering a similar addition now.

Yes, there is a lot of information on the web about using micro switches and such on a packard for flash sync, but its not necessary. You could do a prettier version than mine (it was originally inside a camera), but as is it is perfectly functional.