Thread: Sequoia NP Outing

Re: Sequoia NP Outing

I'm considering and will let you know
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Drew Wiley

Only the last few miles of the Mineral King road are gravel; but it's well graded. No problems. The campgrounds are reasonably groomed too. Passenger cars are fine even if they don't give you bragging rights to tall tales. Just beware of the usual rocks and stumps backing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Only the last few miles of the Mineral King road are gravel; but it's well graded. No problems. The campgrounds are reasonably groomed too. Passenger cars are fine even if they don't give you bragging rights to tall tales. Just beware of the usual rocks and stumps backing up.
    Thank you Drew.

I once drove up to Mineral King on a hot day in a Ford Expedition with no air conditioning or ventilation fan. That was a mistake. It was already hot and miserable by the time I got to Three Rivers. The road up to Mineral King was dusty enough keep the windows up. Getting to the top of the mountain on that road in a hot car with no air was an ordeal. Still infinitely worthwhile. A smaller vehicle would handle the road better, and its nothing a modern passenger car can't handle. My suggestion is that you take a car with well functioning air conditioning.
    Also, in late July plan for -- possibly heavy -- afternoon rain showers.

Drew Wiley

Feel blessed if there are showers. Good clouds and soft light, then cooling refreshment. Just don't go wandering any significant distance without a raincoat and sweater in your daypack. Last time I was up there two dayhikers lost their life that way - wandered off under one of those immaculately sunny summer mornings and then went hypothermic in the afternoon blizzard. Meanwhile, I was helping search for a third missing hiker, who fortunately was merely lost but otherwise properly geared, so just scared but otherwise OK. Weather can change very very quickly at altitude.

True that. The weather in the mountains, it's been said, is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Well, John, if anyone does wander uphill much on a weekend without prior acclimatizing, they must be in pretty damn good shape. That gorgeous Mineral King meadow is pretty well boxed in, and even the easier trails are a distinct climb, not to mention the goat paths over steep scree. I started out at 4PM a couple years back during a heavy rainstorm and kept going almost to the top in falling snow and darkness until around 1AM. Barely had time the next morning to make it over the pass before the clouds moved in again and lighting was going crazy all over my tracks just 15 minutes back. It was like that all week. But I ordinarily carry full winter gear in my backpack, and sure needed it. Great fun and a few wonderful shots, but offset by the loss of two lives of dayhikers who got caught slightly uphill unprepared. Timberline starts not very far above Mineral King Valley, so not much natural shelter around. Down on the level, and around the sequoias and campgrounds there is obviously plenty of cover, and plenty to photograph too.

Well, we're about 2 weeks out. Just wanted to share I am still planning to be there Friday morning as early as possible to secure a site. Matt Stage shared with me over email he may arrive on Thursday to try a secure a site. Matthew Blais, I saw you were considering driving up to meet us. I hope you are able to. FWIW, I am looking forward to this trip. I hope to see everyone again.

Enjoy,
    Dave

Good luck!

It so happens I have to be at a BSA camp on Huntington Lake on the 26th so can't join you.

Dave! Secure a few sites! Rachel and I will be there early afternoon on Friday and I believe that Randy and Daniel are coming as well.