Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

New to the forum

Hello from the East Coast. I've been a casual photographer over the years. Started using digital, progressed over time to better "bridge" cameras, and recently got my first DSLR to accompany me while hiking. I used to focus on putting in the miles while hiking, but now the emphasis has shifted to where my objective is photographing what I'm seeing, more than going for distance. The DSLR and a nice telephoto helps me to get wildlife photos I like, but wide angle with the DSLR doesn't seem to do justice to the nice trees and forest scenery. The threads I'm seeing here on trees, and landscape, illustrate what I'd like to be able to capture with the landscape around me here in Virginia.

So I'm reading up and learning a lot from the forum about how to do just that.

Victor

Re: New to the forum

Welcome, Victor2
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Prepare to be amazed. Great group of smart and talented people. Welcome Victor.

Welcome to the forum Victor2.

Digital is fun but you will soon find out that shooting large format film is just special!

Welcome!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Welcome Victor2. Where in Virginia are you located?

Pali

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm in Sterling, in Northern Virginia.

Great Falls Park should be nice. I used to climb there a lot in the eighties, and when I visit DC this summer plan to go out there for a day.

welcome to the forum, from an old virginie boy!

Victor you are very close to me. I am in MoCo MD.

Tim, have you ever hiked around the great falls with 8x10 setup? I ask because I am going to brave it soon but I have hiked the MD side many times without any LF gear and it is scary enough without it. It would nice to hear others experience around the area.

Regards,

Pali

No, I shot only 35mm in those days. I think the Billy Goat trail on the Md side is rougher than the trails on the VA side, so it might be better there with an 8x10. Good luck!

Victor, maybe you can meet up with Pali one Saturday at Great Falls. I could be out there early Sunday morning on July 26, if I'm not too jet-lagged. The park doesn't open until 7:00, which I think is pretty late in the summer for good light, but might have an hour or so. If I'm thinking correctly, the morning light should be from the Maryland side, so it might be nice on the falls. You can shoot from the overlooks, but also would be nice to get down to the riverbed and work your way up as close as possible. Not sure how feasible that is, but might be worth a scout.