Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Rectilinear Lens with only One Element. Any Use?

Re: Old Rectilinear Lens with only One Element. Any Use?

Another newbie alert...

What do you / would you use for a shutter with a lens like this?

One uses one's opera hat of course

Quote Originally Posted by Kirks518 View Post
    Another newbie alert...

What do you / would you use for a shutter with a lens like this?
    Google: Harris Shutter or Drop Shutter

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...35536563608720

Hi... couple of points:

First up, because I'm Australian, I'm very VERY impressed that you've scored a French lens that looks like it's been imported at time of manufacture for an Australian distributer!

Second, it's a wide angle rectilinear so the focal length of the original lens was probably only about 4 inches for the stated coverage. The elements may not have been quite symmetrical but the single element is probably about 8 inches and you're using more bellows extension than that because you're focusing at close distances.

with a single element you'll have a very usable lens but it'll always be a bit soft compared to a modern lens.... you may even prefer that? If you have any interest in soft focus, you might like the look from taking the glass out of the barrel and using it at it's maximum possible aperture [the current aperture in the barrel would give you f16 at tops and it may well be a stop or two slower than that]

the brass barrel isn't very big so the fancy way to shutter it would be to drop it into a large old shutter if you were serious

but I'm interested in the other story with the Dallmeyer... PM me if you like

Wherever My Laptop Is (Usually Australia)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Hi... couple of points:

First up, because I'm Australian, I'm very VERY impressed that you've scored a French lens that looks like it's been imported at time of manufacture for an Australian distributer!
    Yes, I've seen few Baker & Rouse parts around myself. It does make it somewhat easy to age the lens as from what I can tell Baker & Rouse ceased trading under that name in 1907 when they merged with Kodak Australia (?). So the lens, I assume, has to be at least 100+ years old. Shame I am unable to determine which French lens maker made this lens.

Second, it's a wide angle rectilinear so the focal length of the original lens was probably only about 4 inches for the stated coverage. The elements may not have been quite symmetrical but the single element is probably about 8 inches and you're using more bellows extension than that because you're focusing at close distances.

with a single element you'll have a very usable lens but it'll always be a bit soft compared to a modern lens.... you may even prefer that? If you have any interest in soft focus, you might like the look from taking the glass out of the barrel and using it at it's maximum possible aperture [the current aperture in the barrel would give you f16 at tops and it may well be a stop or two slower than that]

the brass barrel isn't very big so the fancy way to shutter it would be to drop it into a large old shutter if you were serious
    I found a lens cap that was a fraction too large for it so have taken a few shots with it in the Plaubel Supra II (in cardboard lens board as shown a few posts back). As I don't yet have a shutter for it I set up some indoor shots so I could expose for seconds not fractions of a second. I did a couple of still life shots and the sharpness was impressive to my eye, at least on the negative.

I found an old Epson 4870 which I purchased and am ever so eagerly awaiting delivery of. Once I receive it I will post some shots from it.

but I'm interested in the other story with the Dallmeyer... PM me if you like
    Nothing amazing, it is a 5x4 rapid rectilinear brass lens. Unfortunately it is fixed into some sort of barrel. I have had several attempts at 'freeing' it from the barrel with no luck as yet. It has roughly the same end diameter as the Baker & Rouse lens. I would love to get a shutter for one or both the lenses but unfortunately I am not very mechanically skilled.

The Baker and Rouse has an interior thread with a diameter of about 38mm, I thought if I could get a shutter with a similar size front thread I could find, fashion or get made some sort of converter between the lens and the shutter. I have been looking at Copal No 1 shutters, wondering if that might be the first step as the lens mount on it is 40mm.

I have a soft spot for Dallmeyer...
    have a look at the serial number and you might get lucky and find it in the archive under "rectilinear settings":
    http://www.thedallmeyerarchive.com/R...ification.html

have a look at the serial number and you might get lucky and find it in the archive under "rectilinear settings":
    Serial is 50491

Unfortunately both pages I checked failed to load:

http://www.thedallmeyerarchive.com/R...liding/5x4.pdf

http://www.thedallmeyerarchive.com/R.../Rigid/5x4.pdf

I did find the entry for the other Dallmeyer I have. A 2.5" Detective Tele Photo Attachment 55567. I understand this is a negative lens, not quite sure what it would be used for though.

sorry about the failure to load, they were working earlier tonight... try again later

sorry about the failure to load, they were working earlier tonight... try again later
    Is that your website?