Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Long Exposure - Very Different Results Between Digital and 4x5 Film

Drew Wiley

Re: Long Exposure - Very Different Results Between Digital and 4x5 Film

Like I already implied, Lenny, I don't choose films according to what they all do similarly or reasonably well, but for what they each do best. Of course, I can't go
    around lugging fifteen different films at a time. But I do frequently need versatility that spans wide contrast. TMY does that reasonably well. I wish something like Super-XX or Bergger 200 were still made, but the only so-called "true straight line" film still made it Fomapan 200 and its Arista private label, which as we all know is miserable at long exposures and of dubious quality control. Handling twelve zones of range without resorting to compressed development is something those kinds of films can do. You've never actually seen any of my actual Cibachromes, and the sad thing about the web is that it's almost impossible to reasonably convey the qualitative feel of the soft and subtle images, whether color or black and white, so that probably once gave a false impression about the scope of my work in that respect. I don't know if more recent improvements in scanning and web presentation really cure that issue, but it's a bit premature for me to revive that particular project. I have set up a new copy station. I worked with Delta 100 briefly. It favors midtones and highlights, but packs the shadows a bit too hard for my typical usage. And it's a slick film like TMX, so quite a nuisance in terms of Newton ring risk here, where fog is the norm. When I do want more of a general purpose film and can tolerate the slower speed, I load FP4 in the holders, because it's always on hand for unsharp masking purposes. At lately I've been packing one holder of 8x10 ACROS for certain shots where I want a bit of long-exposure blur in the foliage, but otherwise shoot TMY. One characteristic that hasn't even been mentioned on this appropriate thread is how these various films shift contrast differentially over long exposures relative to
    different colored filters. That kind of information is hard to get ahold of. What few people seem to know is back when Kodak was trying to replace multiple films
    with just two speeds of TMax, they actually engineered TMX as a suitable color separation film to replace Super-XX in that role. It's actually even more consistent the way it responds to tricolor filtration at consistent contrast at long exposures, at least within the "sweet spot' of roughly ten seconds to a minute.
    TMY isn't bad in that respect either. With all the 200-speed films designed for that purpose, including Super-XX, Bergger, and Fomapan, the contrast through
    blue filtration was strongly diminished. But more common filters, like green or red, can also fall out of balance. One more thing to think about for you long exp
    junkies, before you blame your development on that unexplicable neg that mysterious came out wrong.

I did some test shots on my Nikon digital camera at f 29 @ 120 seconds @ 100 ISO. Shots came out well lit, could see what the object was and even the background was well lit and clear.

I then tried to translate those settings to my new Toyo 45A which I currently have loaded with Fomapan 100. After reading about Fomapan 100 I am using it as ISO 80.
    Getting back to the original - was your digital camera possibly set to AUTO ISO?

Drew Wiley

And me too. Back to original question. Sorry for the detour. But Foma 100 is more like ASA 50 during fast exposure, given the marketing BS coefficient. With long
    exposures, you need to time it with a Carbon 14 clock, not a stopwatch. Nearly futile, in other words. Choose a different film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Getting back to the original - was your digital camera possibly set to AUTO ISO?
    He said the exposure time was in Minutes... With FOMA, that's HOURS, I'm sure it was reciprocity and not his digital camera compensating.

Probably everyone knows this already, but digital sensors are *almost* perfectly linear. If you double the amount of light hitting the sensor, you get a linear response on the sensor in terms of density. This can be very useful in exposing scenes in extremely low light. In these situations you can set the ASA very high to get a reading at your taking aperture, then adjust it to a low ISO for the actual exposure.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Wherever My Laptop Is (Usually Australia)

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    No, the digital camera was not in Auto ISO mode. I tend to shoot manual everything with my digital.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    He said the exposure time was in Minutes... With FOMA, that's HOURS, I'm sure it was reciprocity and not his digital camera compensating.
    Yes, once I accounted for reciprocity I have been getting good results.

I have seen threads and reviews where people have been quite happy with Fomapan film. Some people actually like its reciprocity properties.

For me, learning a new art, Fomapan is more than sufficient. Once I start getting more confident I will consider trying out some of the more expensive films. Delta 100 is next on the list.

Maybe if you have been shooting for ever and know LF photography like the back of your hand there may be no substitute for the best (most expensive) films.

For me Fomapan fulfills its purpose for now. Bottom line is I am just happy to be shooting large format at all

Quote Originally Posted by secondhandrobot View Post
    I have seen threads and reviews where people have been quite happy with Fomapan film. Some people actually like its reciprocity properties.

For me, learning a new art, Fomapan is more than sufficient. Once I start getting more confident I will consider trying out some of the more expensive films. Delta 100 is next on the list.

Maybe if you have been shooting for ever and know LF photography like the back of your hand there may be no substitute for the best (most expensive) films.

For me Fomapan fulfills its purpose for now. Bottom line is I am just happy to be shooting large format at all
    Ilford is an excellent producer of film and will be around much longer than many of the higher priced films, they are poised to be the last great film and paper manufacturer.

When Fuji Actros100 is gone I'll be going to Delta100 and when TMY-2 is gone, I'll probably switch to Delta400 (which I think will be produced again in sheet once TMY-2 is gone) and I'll continue using HP5+ when applicable as well.

Ilford is an excellent choice.

FOMA is great for that "film" look and the reciprocity characteristics make it great for getting water patterns and other things for long exposures and other things.

It's not BAD just different.

Sounds like you've figured it out, keep going

Drew Wiley

Gosh, you're a prophet too, Stone? Or still acting?