Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LF means heavy hiking. What's on your "not necessary" list?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: LF means heavy hiking. What's on your "not necessary" list?

A tripod that is not carbon fiber increases in weight by a factor of the square of the distance traveled. The farther one goes the weight increases quadratically.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Drew Wiley

Yes, but wooden tripod give more mass down below the camera where it's actually needed. And they have bigger spike feet. Those characteristics are especially
    nice and intimidating when some smart ass walks up and asks why you don't simply use a cell phone to take the shot like everyone else. Whaaack !!! You KNOW they're down for the count when a wooden tripod is involved.

Old School Wayne

Good practical advice, but " 100% success rate" is 95% meaningless. People can be asymptomatic carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    My
    success rate after hundreds of backpack trips, most of them without even bothering to carry a filter, has been 100%.

Old School Wayne

Interesting article, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Wayne, here's a link to a study to help address your question:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10737847

The title of the study:

"Risk of giardiasis from consumption of wilderness water in North America: a systematic review of epidemiologic data."

And the main take-away:

CONCLUSIONS:
    Published reports of confirmed giardiasis among outdoor recreationalists clearly demonstrate a high incidence among this population. However, the evidence for an association between drinking backcountry water and acquiring giardiasis is minimal. Education efforts aimed at outdoor recreationalists should place more emphasis on handwashing than on water purification. Further studies should attempt to separate the specific risk factor of drinking water from backcountry sources from other behaviors among this group that may contribute to the risk.

-----
    I've heard the "gloom and doom" sales pitch for water filters at the flagship REI here in Seattle, and one should take it with a wry smile & grain of salt. However, I still think the negligible weight of a good, compact water filter (e.g., by PUR) makes it worth carrying for the extra protection it offers. One should erase it from their "not necessary" list, and consider adding it to the "essentials."

Does anyone remember who the first ultralight packer was to leave one leg on a quadpod at home, and take only three on a hike? Great idea, whoever it was.

I find that artesian springs are reliable sources of safe potable water in the wild.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I find that artesian springs are reliable sources of safe potable water in the wild.
    Lost Maples in Texas has a spring with excellent tasting water. Two years ago I found a pipe in a rock delivering great water on the Appalachian Trail. Others I've come across over the years were enjoyable experiences. I've taken a bottle or two home from them.

A mule
    Bag balm
    My personal soundtrack
    Demo tape
    Brass knuckles
    My copy of on golden pond
    Muffler
    Potting soil
    TV remote
    Gap wedge
    Mayonnaise
    Soft pillow
    Extra underwear
    Carpet pad
    Bodyguard
    Eyelash curlers
    Old ticket stubs
    Hand lotion

I don't know what simple effective affordable has to do with anything
    Was that just for fun

I'm taking my hot air balloon

am trying to get my 4x5 kit down from 27 pounds to something I can carry.

Went to Colorado last week (Estes Pk area) and nearly died from multiple age related degenerative processes.

Current kit is a little Wista mfg Zone-VI and three lenses (90mm, 150mm, 210mm)with 12 film holders, meter, loupe BTZS hood, and a Velbon CF tripod with a magnesium ball head.

We are going away again later in the summer and I'll try to reduce this to one lens (15mm?) and a Grafmatic in a smaller bag.

Any thoughts?

For Ultra-heavy gear; Wheels.

I have played aound with a golf-bag pull along cart modified for hauling my 8x10 gear. I figure that many really nice areas of Nat Pks are wheel-chair accessable with board walks and paths. The cart will go into a short grass meadow and the wider stance and large-ish wheels will handle the rocks. Can't fly with it.

I am waiting for our grand kids to outgrow their elaborate stroller with pneumatic wheels.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Long hiking means small format, not LF. I leave the LF gear at home if I'm really hiking.