Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IATA new standard for the carry on bags

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: IATA new standard for the carry on bags

Its about time. Many folks and their humongous carry-on bags are out-of-control.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    My opinion is that commercial air travel is an obnoxious, dehumanizing experience to be avoided at almost any possible cost. It was headed in that direction before 9-11-2001 and took the final step soon after. If one cannot escape this mess, the only photographic equipment even worth consideration is small, expendable and digital. A large format sheet film system deserves more respect than to be run through this gauntlet.
    +1.
    Commercial air travel is deplorable enough without taking ANY camera. 20 years ago I was shipping things ahead via FedEx. That was a good policy then and even better now. My last flight, last week, 4 1/2 hours cross-country, was without any carry-on at all. Nice to be unfettered, but it still was an absolutely miserable experience with last minute gate changes that required changing concourses and rushing to get to the new gate on time. Can't imagine that while dragging a LF camera and all its associated flotsam.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    It's called Amtrak...
    I wish. A couple of years ago I looked into Amtrak for a cross-country trip and checked baggage was not allowed, which made no sense at all to me. It was further complicated by the fact that there was not an Amtrak station near my destination and I would have to transfer to a bus to get where I wanted to go. Sounded like it was just asking for trouble! I wish the trains would come back. I've used them for shorter regional trips and generally enjoyed the ride. But baggage/cargo management with them is at least as bad as with the airlines. That leaves driving...

I traveled recently on virgin-atlantic and the limits were pretty close to this. I took a Rolleiflex instead of LF. With my clothes, tablet, camera, film, footwear, backpack, it all weighed 18 pounds which is acceptable.

I protected the camera/film with a Cabela's IK-218724 ammo box which the US TSA/Customs took great interest in, but their counterparts in England had no concept of Cabelas.

Dealing with checked baggage is a deal breaker for me, so I will bring what I'm able to carry on. I have mailed stuff ahead to avoid that in the past.

For shorter trips, the bus is an option. They are used to people bringing huge travel bags and they fill the whole belly of the bus with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Its about time. Many folks and their humongous carry-on bags are out-of-control.
    I agree with you only in that people were ignoring the current size limits and airlines weren't enforcing the current bag size, so people were sneaking on larger bags, that's where things got tough, and then often the bags are too long, and have to be stored long ways, taking up two spots, that was the major issue, if people followed the current rules the crowding wouldn't be an issue.

But that's people for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Not Amtrak. In Sal's case, an Amphicar.
    I really haven't any desire to cross bodies of water, so no Amphicar is needed either.

Side note. The last few years of high school (roughly 1969 through 1971) I walked to school rather than ride the bus. Along the way was an Amphicar dealer, so I've inspected them "in the flesh." They weren't tempting then and aren't now.

The flip-flop came sooner than expected: http://www.citynews.ca/2015/06/17/ia...#__federated=1

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I agree with you only in that people were ignoring the current size limits and airlines weren't enforcing the current bag size, so people were sneaking on larger bags, that's where things got tough, and then often the bags are too long, and have to be stored long ways, taking up two spots, that was the major issue, if people followed the current rules the crowding wouldn't be an issue.

But that's people for you.
    That's a lot of the problem, Stone. But the rest of the problem is that the NUMBER of carry-on bags often exceeds the capacity simply because EVERYBODY want to carry aboard a bag. I suspect that even if they are legal size the problem will persist because of this.

But as you say, that's people for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    That's a lot of the problem, Stone. But the rest of the problem is that the NUMBER of carry-on bags often exceeds the capacity simply because EVERYBODY want to carry aboard a bag. I suspect that even if they are legal size the problem will persist because of this.

But as you say, that's people for you.
    People, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...

Carry-ons are a problem the airlines created. First with long waits for baggage plus the possibility of lost baggage, then with expensive (and profitable) fees for checking bags.

Do I get annoyed with oversized carry-ons (mine are not)? Sure. But it's a predictable response to airline fees.

Sitting at the Amtrak Station in Salt Lake waiting on the eastbound California Zephyr. Due in at 3 AM and now two hrs late. One has to have a lot of flexibility and patience to travel by train in the states. Still a great way to travel.