Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Galaxy paper offered for direct positive processing

Re: Galaxy paper offered for direct positive processing

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    Galaxy just posted an update for those interested. They say they will be posting the basics for the reversal process this Friday. They also speak to the issue of chemical kits.

One good think about these folks. Any time I've contacted them directly they have always responded with relative speed and directness. Not all KS campaigns are so.
    Only backers get to see this update. Have they back tracked on the "direct positive" spin they keep throwing around yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly_1971 View Post
    Only backers get to see this update. Have they back tracked on the "direct positive" spin they keep throwing around yet?
    As I said, if you go to their website and contact them directly they will respond to your questions.
    As to viewing the updates different KS campaigns must have different settings. I've always been able to follow the updates on the Intrepid 4X5 project but was never a backer. Perhaps if you register with Kickstarter, even if you don't back a project, a person could see updates for various campaigns. I'm really not sure of how it works.

As I said, if you go to their website and contact them directly they will respond to your questions.
    As to viewing the updates different KS campaigns must have different settings. I've always been able to follow the updates on the Intrepid 4X5 project but was never a backer. Perhaps if you register with Kickstarter, even if you don't back a project, a person could see updates for various campaigns. I'm really not sure of how it works.
    I have actually messaged them directly and never received a response.

As to the visibility of the updates, that's due to something the project creators have set. I have visibility on the Intrepid as well, however the Galaxy Paper project gives me a "must be a backer to view this update" message. I've backed several projects so far and the settings vary depending on the project team.

Thing is, if they were clear from the start on what it is that they are attempting I'd be a lot more willing to give financial support. So far though, they've not been very clear (mostly, I think because they don't really know what they're doing) and attempts to attain some clarity have been met with either silence or obfuscation.

My misgiving is the paper is called "Direct Positive" when it's not at all, it's a Reversal processed paper which is an indirect way to get a Positive. As such there's a need for a reversal bath and a more complex processing sequence than Harman Direct Positive Paper.

Almost all B&W papers can be reversal processed, I first saw prints done this way from B&W transparencies around 1972/3 by a research student doing a PhD and the quality was amazing.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Almost all B&W papers can be reversal processed, I first saw prints done this way from B&W transparencies around 1972/3 by a research student doing a PhD and the quality was amazing.
    How would this be any different from a b&w negative printed on standard negative paper, from a quality standpoint? Just curious.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    How would this be any different from a b&w negative printed on standard negative paper, from a quality standpoint? Just curious.
    A B&W transparency has a long tonal range and the reversal prints from them mirror this, however it's not a very practical way of working although the quality was very high, sharp, low grain, a lot more openness in the shadows and highlights. Back then there weren't RC papers and reversal processing Ilfobrom which was FB was time consuming as there's a lot of washing needed between steps, it's quicker with RC papers.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly_1971 View Post
    I have actually messaged them directly and never received a response.
    That is odd, I've sent at least three e-mails to them and always received an answer within 2~4 days.

Apparently their original idea was to reproduce a special paper Kodak used to make that was formulated specifically for reversal processing. Kodak called it "direct positive" paper (although it was really not, at least in the same way the term is used today) and so they followed suit and used the same terminology.
    They however want to make it with a higher speed and not so contrasty. They also wanted to accomplish the reversal without the re-exposure step used with the Kodak paper. I hope the campaign is successful, I want that speed and ability to handle it under dim safe-light. And it can be used in regular developer to make a negative which is how I intend to use it.

They also wanted to accomplish the reversal without the re-exposure step used with the Kodak paper.
    But you can't make a reversal without something to fog the reversal image after the bleach step.

You can do it with exposure to light, or you can do it with a chemical bath, but you can't do without it.

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    But you can't make a reversal without something to fog the reversal image after the bleach step.

You can do it with exposure to light, or you can do it with a chemical bath, but you can't do without it.
    Yes, they want to do it chemically. Don't know why but I think they may believe it is easier to control than exposure to light.

You don't need to "control" it.

The fogging stage only requires that the bleached paper (or film) be fully exposed, i.e. that all the unexposed halides are fogged.

All the control you exert on the image is in the initial (i.e. camera) exposure, and in the 1st developer and to a lesser extent the 2nd developer.